C H A P T E R 1 4

We're not born just to pay bills and die.

"Chicken fight?"

"No."

"Diving for treasure?"

"No."

"Marco Polo?"

"How old are we? Eight?"

"Pool volleyball," Tristan stated, ignoring Olivia's comment.

She seemed to consider that. I wasn't bad at volleyball so I think we could win.

"Okay," Olivia finally said.

"Get ready to lose," he said, smirking as if he already won the game.

"No, we won't. We will win and I'll show you!" Olivia seethed.

Ten minutes later, we all were in the pool. The volleyball net as well as the boundaries were set and Ethan was stood on the far right end of the pool on the opposite side with the rubber volleyball in his hands, as he had won the coin toss and he was to serve first.

"Ready?" Tristan shouted from the other end of the pool.

"We were born ready," Olivia said, giving me a slight nod.

On cue, Ethan served overhand by tossing the ball over his head and using his dominant right hand to hit the ball, sending it over the net. Olivia managed to fire it back to the other side, the ball narrowly escaping being caught in the net.

Tristan jumped in front of Ethan, and threw the ball back at us so fast that we barely had any time to react to it. The ball fell into the water on our side, earning Ethan's team a point.

I heard Olivia curse under her breath as she glared at a smirking Tristan.

This time, Tristan was the one to serve. He tossed the ball at us with such a force that Olivia couldn't handle the ball and ended up being in contact with it two times, which earned them another point.

We continued the game and although Ethan and Tristan had a three point lead in the game, it suddenly took an exciting turn when we came in the lead by two points after almost half of the game was over. By the time we reached 25 points and the two men reached 24, we decided to continue on with the game as a team needed a two point lead to win.

After that, the game started getting unfair. Ethan and Tristan would often cheat. They would have more than three contact points at a time before sending the ball on our side, and when we argued about it, they denied it. Then there were times when Ethan contacted the ball two times in succession, which again was denied by lame excuses like we didn't observe clearly what he did.

Despite them cheating like anything, we managed to win over them with a three point lead. And it was worth seeing the faces of the two sore losers after we won.

Olivia, being herself didn't miss out on a single opportunity to taunt them about their loss. Tristan just grunted out a "shut up" to us before leaving the pool. Ethan looked absolutely unaffected by their loss and just shrugged it off. Even Olivia's harsh taunts couldn't get to him and he too left after flipping us off.

"Did you see Tristan's face when he lost?" Olivia laughed. "What was he even thinking challenging me at a game as simple as pool volleyball. I was the captain of my school volleyball team," she said, flipping her hair back, "I wish he knew that so he would have saved himself the embarrassment of losing over me," Olivia smirked devilishly.

***

I stepped into the shower, stripping my clothes off and turning the shower on. I had just returned from the pool, after celebrating our victory over Ethan and Tristan in pool volleyball.