C H A P T E R 5 7

The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.❞

Around midnight I heard a knock on my bedroom door. At first I thought I had just imagined it but then it came again and for a few seconds I was flooded with thoughts of a ghost doing that because everyone was sleeping right now and it was dark and quiet around so it did spook me out.

I got out of bed and slowly twisted the door knob open, mimicking the way the actors in horror movies do because sometimes I get this sick enjoyment in imagining myself in that role, doing all the things I scream at the actors to not do.

I saw a figure right in front of me when I opened the door. In the dark I couldn't see his face but I instantly knew it was Ethan. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Ethan, what're you doing here?"

He didn't say anything and then he leaned forward, his head rested on my shoulder and I felt his weight falling on me. I instantly held him so we wouldn't fall down.

"What's wrong?" I asked and then I was met with the smell of alcohol. I didn't know Ethan drank.

"Juliet!" He squealed and his arms came around me in an awkward hug.

"God, why'd you drink so much?"

"Tristan and I...we went to have a drink with each other...because I told him that I like you...so we went out...to celebrate." He slurred.

I lost some of my hold on him and he staggered into me but I didn't let go of him.

"Just go to your room."

"I can't find my...my key. I think I lost it...I went to find the key in the kitchen but I dropped it somewhere on the way...it's so dark...I can't see anything..." he grinned at me, "...but you."

I sighed. I helped him to my bed.

"Just sit here. I'll go and try to find it."

I searched in the dark hallways and the staircase but I didn't find it. I felt a little scared roaming about the dark mansion at midnight but kept going. I tried searching it in the kitchen and in and around it but I didn't find the little metal which was keeping me from my sleep.

After ten minutes, I gave up and went back to my room.

"Looks like you'll have to use the guestroom." I said as I entered the room but saw Ethan lying on my bed, curled up in a ball. He was shivering a little.

I didn't know what to do. If only he was not drunk, I'd have no problem in getting him to the guestroom.

I went near him and he looked deep in sleep. Not having the heart to wake him up, I decided he was going to spend the night here. So I removed his shoes so that he'd be a little comfortable and took off his tie, my fingertips brushing his neck a few times causing him to shiver involuntarily. I unbuttoned the first few buttons of his shirt, allowing me a peek at his warm and smooth chest. I then covered him in my duvet and ensured he wasn't cold anymore by tucking it till his chin.

I watched him sleep for a few seconds, studying the slow rise and fall of his chest with his even breathing. Then I leaned closer and placed a kiss on his forehead and then on both of his eyes and I knew he wasn't going to wake up soon so I allowed myself to press my lips to his because he was that addicting.

After I pulled away I ran my hand through his hair a few times after which I decided I needed to sleep too.
Walking around the bed, I got under the covers on the other end of the bed and turned to face him so I had a view of his sleeping form. This was a rare chance I had to examine him this close when he was sleeping, as creepy as that sounded.