[6]

Song of the chapter: False Alarm by Matoma and Becky Hill.

...

"You're asking me how to ask a white girl on a date?" Toki's friend, Greg, asked again while running his fingers through his blonde hair.

"Yes. And where to take her on a date." Toki replied.

"Well where do you take your Nigerian chicks to?" Greg asked.

"Well teenagers go to the mall and watch a movie, but adults go for lunch or dinner. But isn't that too simple? I can't take her sightseeing because, well, she  lives here. And I can't take her to the movies because I don't know what she likes to watch. I can't take her to an amusement park, because I don't know if she likes them. All I know about her is that she's white and completely amazing." Toki sat up from his bed, looking at Greg expectantly.

"Lunch or dinner is fine for a first date. And just ask her casually, be funny about it. Girls like boys that make them laugh. Be a gentleman too, during your date. And don't talk too much about yourself-"

"I know how to woo a woman, thank you. I just don't know if white girls are the same with Nigerian girls." Toki cut in.

"I'm just going to be cliche: be yourself. Let her fall for the Nigerian dude not for a Nigerian guy trying too hard." Greg advised.

"Well okay, if you say so. Now I have to make reservations somewhere. Do you think she'll like seafood?" Toki asked, scratching the back of his head.

"She might be allergic. Go for a normal restaurant to be safe." Greg replied.

"Thanks man. Now I have to go and find her."

"You mean you don't know where she lives?" Greg asked, surprised.

"Nope."

"No phone number?"

Toki shook his head.

"You're an idiot."

...

After asking around a lot for most of the week, Toki finally found Ava's room and the fact that she took a run every morning. Wearing a pair of running shorts and a black t-shirt, he stood in front of her apartment block waiting for her to come out.

She came out wearing a sports bra and a pair of shorts. Her red hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she was bobbing her head to the music playing from her earphones, totally oblivious to Toki who was watching her with a faint smile tugging at his lips.

He didn't know what drew him to her, he had never been attracted to a white girl before, and he also never went on early morning runs; but he was doing a lot of new things lately.

She looked up and finally saw him, and she raised her eyebrow in surprise. He waved at her enthusiastically and she rolled her eyes, with a smile on her lips and walked towards him.

"Do I want to know how you know where I live?" She asked playfully, taking an earphone out of her ear.

"If I say that I have my sources, would you look at me like a stalker?" He asked nervously.

"Yup." She nodded, popping the 'p'.

"Well I asked around. I wanted to see you again." He replied honestly.

"Why?" She asked.

"Why don't we start with the run first, then maybe you'll find out." He winked and she turned red.

"Well okay. We'll take my route." She said.

"Good, because I don't know my way around here anyway."