[11]

Song of the chapter: For Life by Runtown.

...

Toki sped home immediately after Ava's call with his mind racing. He remembered Zainab.

She was a snake.

Cunning, yet dangerous in many ways; he wondered what he saw in her in the first place.

He had thought he loved her, years ago

She used to be a good person, beautiful and nice. She had a smile for everyone, but it was obvious that the world of fame had changed her.

When he left, she was an upcoming model, but he had heard that her modelling career crashed when she was caught doing drugs and sleeping with rich men for connections.

He had hoped that she wouldn't bother him when he got back from the States, but that was a futile wish, and she was back, with an obvious purpose.

And there was Ava, she had been through a lot already. All his jealous ex girlfriends and his father's harsh words, he wouldn't be surprised if she was on her way to the airport before she realised she had no idea where she was going.

He wanted to hold her so tight so she wouldn't leave him.

He had thought of going back to America with her and doing a small wedding, forgetting about his parents and starting afresh. Then maybe after a few years, he would come back to his father to show his success.

But no one would want to leave family.

He wanted to have both: his family and his girl.

When he got home, he rushed past the gateman who was greeting him. On a normal day, Toki would have greeted the man, maybe even give him some money, but he had no time for that now.

And he needed to have a talk with the man on the people he opened the gate for.

Not every one was invited.

He walked into his sitting room to find Zainab sitting comfortably on his couch, sipping a glass of Apple juice. She didn't seem intimidated by Toki's glare, instead she grinned broadly which infuriated him further.

Her smile had changed. It was no longer the same.

"Just in time. I was just about to leave." She said with a smile, beaming at him as though they were long time friends.

"Where is she?" He snapped, not in the mood for her foreplay.

"Who? Your white chick? I don't know oh." She shrugged. "She just ran out, fiam, without a word. Besides, is that the first thing you would say after these years, no 'hi Zainab, what are you up to this time?' ehn?"

"What did you do?" Toki asked through gritted teeth.

"Just gave her the brief history of our unfortunate relationship. Then she burst out crying probably thinking about what a terrible groom you are." She shrugged nonchalantly, obviously enjoying this more than Toki.

"What do you want Zainab?"

"Zainab? Not Zee or Babe? We could have been a nice couple you know, we fit." She smirked.

"Talk jare." He snapped and she grinned.

"Thirty million naira, or I tell the world my version of what happened." She said, sipping the last contents of her cup neatly.

"No one would believe that I would abort a child Zainab. We both know that I begged you to keep the child, but you aborted it anyway." He spat out, glaring at her with hatred.