Chapter 23: Weird

Carter

I held Elinn close to me, she wasn't going to leave me. She was going to stay here and be with me forever. I just needed to hold her in order to remember she wasn't gone, that she was here and alive and okay.

I had watched her writhe on the bed for an hour after I had bitten her. Dad and Luke had both told me it was a normal reaction to both the Lycomium and to having your wolf show up suddenly. I hadn't believed them and I had tried to reach out to her mind to hold her close to me. Elinn had shoved me away from her and cried out for me to leave her alone, that I had done this to her.

I hadn't been able to take the rejection, I ran. I ran as fast as I could out of that room and into my mother's waiting arms. I wanted to be with my mate helping her feel better, but it was clear she didn't want me. So my mom had just held me and when I was ready we talked through what I was going to do about the situation.

She had explained to me what it must have looked like from Elinn's perspective. She had been in pain and I had allowed someone to do something to cause her more pain. Elinn wasn't use to people trying to help her and so she assumed I had wanted her to feel that pain. Add to all that the fact that a man she thought was working with the old Alpha was there, and it could easily have looked as though I was working with the Shadow Mountain Pack.

When I had finally calmed down I headed back toward Elinn's bedroom and heard her talking to Nate. I heard her beg Nate to kill her so she wouldn't have to go back. I listened as she told him how much she hated me. It had broken my heart to hear her say such things and I began to cry again.

I don't know how Elinn did it, but she always got me to cry. I was a big strong guy and I hadn't cried in years until Elinn came along. All that I had seen her go through, the pain and confusion, it made me empathize with her so much. The fact she was my mate didn't make the situation any better either.

Then when she had seen me at my lowest point, she hadn't laughed or made fun of me. She had knelt down beside me and offered me the comfort I needed. The kiss we had shared was better than anything I ever could have imagined. I was glad that I had her and I wasn't going to let her go anytime soon.

"Sorry to interrupt you love birds, but I think we should probably do a little explaining don't you?" I had almost forgotten that Nate was in the room until he had spoken.

"Explain what exactly?" I asked him as Elinn got to her feet with me close behind her. I pulled her flush against my chest not ready to give up the warm tingles she sent up my whole body when she touched me.

"Well Carter, maybe we could begin by telling her about the world she had been dragged into. You know with you biting her, things are going to start escalating very quickly around here. I just want to make sure that we are all prepared for what is about to go down." Nate had a good point and I was probably going to need his help explaining all this. So I led Elinn back over to the bed where I had her sit before joining Nate across from her.

"Carter, what exactly did you do when you bit me?" Elinn asked her face full of concern building.

"Elinn you have to understand, you were dead. Your heart had stopped beating and we were out of options. I bit your neck to activate your wolf," I explained everything slowly hoping we could keep the situation contained.

"What do you mean activate my wolf. I'm a person, not an animal, you're the only person I've ever seen turn into anything else and you were a dog." My wolf wanted to show her exactly what he was but now was definitely not the time. Especially with my brother in the room.

"Elinn, you can shift into a wolf the same way I can. Your wolf has just been dormant all these years because of the situation you were living in. The people in your old pack we're giving you things to keep you from shifting. We don't know why, but we assume it was so you couldn't escape." Elinn's face slowly began to show some understanding. I wasn't sure how she was going to take it, but so far she had been very calm.

"So you're telling me I can turn into a dog like you can?" Elinn asked and I couldn't contain my growl this time. My wolf broke through before I could stop him.

"If you keep calling me a dog little mate I will gladly show you how wrong you are," Elinn seemed surprised by my words and she flinched away slightly. My wolf didn't like it very much and took her hand.

"I'm not going to hurt you mate, I would never do that. I would show you in far much more....entertaining ways." Elinn giggled at that and I was able to take back the reigns to my body.

"Sorry about that, he can be pretty, assertive," I said and ran my hands through my hair.

"Elinn would you mind trying to locate your wolf. We need to talk to her about a few things and you need to get to know her." Nathan suggested keeping us on track.

"I can try," Elinn closed her eyes and appeared to be concentrating. When they opened again her eyes were pure white. I looked at Nathan not knowing what that meant. Most wolves eyes turned black, red, or purple when their wolf took control. I had never before seen one with white eyes.

"It is so nice to finally be able to move about. I have been stuck, caged for far too long, eleven long years of watching from the shadows. Now I can finally come into the light," Elinn's voice had dropped slightly at her wolfs presents. Then I registered what she had said.

"Wait wolves don't manifest themselves until you turn twelve. Elinn was taking when you were eight and you're saying you were with her since she was nine? That's impossible!" Nate said examining Elinn more closely than he had before.

"All will be explained soon enough. For now, you must prepare, train the girl. She needs to be strong for what she shall face in the future. Know that the man you seek," She said turning to me, "is not on your lands. He will come back for her, but not yet. Keep her safe."

Wasn't alpha Marcus here? I had thought he was down in the dungeons somewhere, but it seemed I was wrong. He was supposed to be here, so I could rip him apart bit by bit. He was supposed to suffer as Elinn had suffered. I was supposed to make him pay for his crimes.

"Do not worry about Alpha Marcus for the time being. You are about to have a very important visitor. When they arrive you will take care of them. Now I must go and Elinn needs to rest, her body is still healing. She will wake up tomorrow, for now, prepare for company." Then Elinn's body fell back into the bed. I turned to Nate and we stared at each other in shock.

"Carter, I think things are about to get really weird. Really, really weird." 

AN: Yeah, my laptop is back! This is the first chapter on the new and improved laptop. Hopefully, this will make things easier. Also, we are OVER NINE THOUSAND views. Thanks so much for that guys it means a lot to me. Leave a comment letting me know what you guys thought and I will do my best to respond. Hope you all have a great weekend. Until next time, bye bye!