Chapter 82: Leaving

Elinn

Carter's shirt was soaked with my tears which made sense since I had been crying for the last half hour. My tears had stopped a few minutes ago, but I couldn't feel anything. My body was numb and my brain could no longer think about what it wanted from me. I knew I was supposed to be in pain, in mourning, but I only felt numb.

"Elinn....are you okay?" Carter seemed so timid as if talking was going to break me. A laugh erupted from my throat, but it was a coarse and uncaring kind of laugh.

"Does it look like she's fine Carter? Because even though I live in her head I know what she looks like and this is not the picture of someone who is okay! You shouldn't have said it like that, you needed to break it to her slowly, you know how she gets. Work on it, you have to work on it." That voice kept coming out of me and I still had no idea where it came from. I wanted it to go away, to stop, to leave me alone.

"Bring the girl in, we both know that it will help, not only your mate but her as well. Things are going to start," Before the thing could finish I shoved it back into whatever part of me it had come from. It fought to get back out again, but with the help of my wolf I was able to keep it pinned down,

"C...c....carter, can I, can we, will you...." I struggled to find the words that I was so desperately searching for. I needed to think about this all of this somewhere away from this mess. I needed to get away from the pack house and everyone inside so that I could think.

"I think I need to go somewhere. Somewhere where no one will be able to find me so that I can clear my head. So much has happened lately and I have no idea what is going to happen. I think....I think I need some time off." I say it all slowly hoping that I'm doing this right. Carter's face falls, but he still replies.

"Oh...okay, I guess I can find one of my family's vacation homes for you to go visit. Johna can drive you and leave you with a phone so you can contact us if there's a problem. When you felt ready to come back I could come and pick you up." I could hear the strain in his voice as if letting me go on my own was one of the hardest things he'd ever done.

"You don't have....that is....you could, come with me if you wanted to. I need to get away from everyone else, but if you want to come I wouldn't be upset. Then I would have someone to....help with....the nightmares." I told him keeping my eyes glued to his face judging his reaction.

His eyes lifted and met mine and I watched as the feelings he had been fighting early washed away. A light filled his eyes that caused me to smile because it meant that he was happy. I hated to see Carter when he was sad, angry, or in pain, it hurt my heart. That light was what I always wanted to see fill his eyes and never leave.

"Are you sure you want me to come?" The smile that was taking up a large percentage of Carter's face was all that I needed to see.

"Yes, it will help me be able to keep from falling apart," As I say the words the thought from earlier rush back at me.

My mind had conjured up an image of what they all would have looked like, their dead bodies lying there on the ground. Hannah and Milly had to have been next to each other they were close friends and were always near each other at the hospital. Carter had said that Luke was hardly recognizable so my brain had taken Luke's image and twisted it until he no longer looked human. He would have been by himself in death probably thinking about his wife and kids, how they would have to find another way to get by and how much it would destroy them. Then I thought of Chad and Corbin.

Chad had done so much raising two kids all by himself without the help of his wife. He had worked to be able to provide for his family and give them everything they could ask for. He was a good Dad when most people would have been too overwhelmed to ever come back. He had a few rough years, but he had come back stronger and more determined.

Corbin....Corbin. Master would have made sure that Chad and Corbin were as far away from each other as possible. He would have seen how much it would hurt them to be separated and would have done it, anyone.

Done it to hurt the boy who had been willing to bring his little sister and her friends to give me presents so that I would have something of my own. Done it to destroy a young man who had told me that it was okay to cry and be mad about the past, but also taught me that you could live through it. Done it to show me that a good person, a good man who had never given up on me. He had done all of this to remind me that those people that I loved would always leave me one way or another.

Then I realized that there was someone who was missing the equation. I shot to my feet trying to figure out what had happened to her.

"Where's Annelise! Carter, she would have been home all by herself where is she? What if something happened to her? What if Master took her as well?" Panicking I ran for the door determined to go and find Annelise.

"Woah, slow down their Speedy Gonzales everything is fine. I went and found Annelise earlier and she is staying with my parents for the time being. She will go into an adoption program after she has had adequate time to mourn, I promise that she will be looked after." My mate's arms were locked around me keeping me from sprinting out of the room. I turned so that I was facing him and gave him a sad smile before kissing his cheek.

"Thank you, for always being here for me." My lips met Carter's again and sparks flew across my skin from the mating bond. I melted into his arms as the mate bond did its work making sure that this connection brought us closer together. I don't think I would ever get tired of being in his arms, I just felt to....warm.

Carter pulled away reluctantly as if he to didn't want this kiss to ever end. My eyes stayed shut savoring the moment that we had. But it all came crashing back in when there was a knock at the door. Carter sighed pulling away from me and pulling the door open.

"Alpha, I'm sorry to come to you here, but I was told to inform you that your car will be ready and out front in thirty minutes. Your mother and father, as well as your mate's parents, will meet you at the grand entrance to say goodbye. I hope that you have a good trip Alpha." The young women who stood before the door said keeping her eyes glued to the ground.

"Thank you Tora, make sure to tell your mother that I said hello. You keep up the good work okay?" It sounded encouraging and I saw a glimpse of a smile on the girls face before she grew serious once more just nodding and heading down the hall.

Carter had us all packed up and ready to go in twenty minutes. I was actually impressed that he was able to do it so fast but he is a werewolf so it isn't too crazy I guess. He ushered me out the door to our room and down the stairs to where we were meeting our parents.

"Oh, honey I hope you have a wonderful trip. I know that this isn't exactly perfect timing and things are crazy but everything is going to work out okay. You have to believe me," Mrs. Johnson pulled me into a warm hug before passing me along to my own parents. It seemed that Carter and his father were preoccupied talking to each other.

"We will miss you while you are gone, but don't worry things will be alright. Your brothers are gonna miss you too but I think their mates will be able to distract them well enough." My father chuckled and I was in yet another hug, it seemed to be the theme of the night.

Then in a flash, I was in Carter's car and we were driving away from the pack house and everyone I knew and loved. This should be an interesting adventure, to say the least.