Chapter 83: Driving

Carter

We were about an hour minutes into the drive when I realized that we needed to stop for gas. I pulled into the nearest gas station and climbed out to put gas in the car. Elinn climbed out after me looking simultaneously scared and intrigued about our surroundings

"Carter where are we?" She was looking around as if someone was going to try and get her.

"This is a gas station, people come here when they need to put gas in their car. It is what makes the car move and you can also buy treats inside. If you want while the car is filling up we can go get something to eat." I offered thinking this would be a good experience for Elinn.

"Sure that sounds okay to me." Elinn agreed hesitantly eyeing the entrance to the store. I turned back to face my station and continued punching in numbers and placed the nozzle into my car starting the flow. Taking Elinn's hand I led her to the entrance which she continued to watch as if she was Alice and had just landed in Wonderland.

"Hello," The lady behind the counter greeted us and I nodded my head acknowledging her. Elinn sniffed the air as we walked down towards the candy isle and I wondered what she was thinking now.

"Carter, why does she smell different than anyone I've ever met. Is she a bad guy or something?" Her eyes were wide and I couldn't help but let out a small laugh. She looked down hiding the blush of embarrassment that crawled across her face.

"No, she isn't a bad guy or something like that, but she is not the same as us. Werewolves aren't the only things that live on the Earth, there is something else that lives here with us. Well a couple other species, but that isn't important at the moment lets focus on them one at a time. That woman back there is a human, just a normal average person who has no idea that werewolves exist or that they are all around her. She has no special abilities and is at the bottom of the supernatural food chain. Most humans don't know anything about the supernatural world and if they do they avoid it like the plague." I told her as I began to pick up a variety of candies to take with us on our ride since it was at least five hours.

"Don't say that she isn't special, I hate it when people say that. Everybody is special in some way or another no matter what you think." Elinn voice was firm, that made me assume that her old Alpha had used that against her.

"I'm sorry I won't do it again. Anyways that is why she smells different than you and I. Now what snacks would you like?" I changed the subject not wanting this little break to start out with us fighting and Elinn doubting whether she should have brought me.

Elinn stared at the stacks of treats before her for the first time and I could see that she was struggling. It was pretty obvious to me that she was debating over two candies, a package of red licorice and a bag of white chocolate. Finally, she reached out and grabbed the licorice and held it out for me to examine. I took it from her and then also snatched the bag of chocolate and put it with the mountain of food in my arms.

"You don't have to choose just one, remember food is a good thing. Now, why don't you go and grab some drinks for us while I take this stuff up to the front? Are you okay with that?" The determination on her face told me that she was going to do this before her mouth did.

"Yeah, I think that I can handle that. I'll meet you at the front in second." We headed towards our respective areas of the store. I walked up to the front counter and unloaded an armys worth of food in front of the shocked woman in front of me.

"Are you feeding a football team or something like that?" The woman asked me as she began to scan all the bags adding up the total that i was going to need to pay. It was a drastic number and was only going to grow bigger when Elinn showed up with our drinks.

Seconds later she showed up holding two bottles of orange soda and two bottles of lemonade. I smiled at her as she laid them on the counter next to all of our yummy food. I couldn't wait to get into the car and rip open a bag of gummy bears and enjoy their chewy goodness.

"That will be 102.34," The lady was shocked as she said the number and I simply placed and hundred dollar bill and a five on the counter before walking out the door.

"You can keep the change, we need to go, but I hope you have a fun day." I called back taking my mate and the bags back out to the car. Elinn was laughing as I helped her into the car and handed her the bags of food hurrying over to my side so we could get going.

After I had started the car and we were back on the road I heard Elinn shuffling through the bags. I glanced over and found her carefully unwrapping a piece of her chocolate. It was kind of like watching a kitten lay with a giant ball of yarn, purely adorable.

About four hours later Elinn was sound asleep in her chair and the sun was beginning to set and we were almost to our destination. About twenty minutes from now we would be at my family's mountain cabin. It was one of our favorite places to go during the spring, but we made sure we could access it anytime even during the winter. I figured getting Elinn into a calm and natural place to help her anxiety and mental health.

She had been doing so much later and I thought that we were getting somewhere. Then after that dinner, everything had begun to fall apart, but I had no idea what I could have done to prevent it. I wasn't even sure what had caused it although I was sure this little 'vacation' would help get us back on track.

I thought back on what I knew about what was going on with Elinn, which was actually quite a bit. I knew that yesterday she had experienced some sort of a mental break down in some form or another. Her mind had no longer been able to contain memories from her past and she had no way of stopping the sudden flood of information until that wall had once again rebuilt itself. Some of those horrible memories had stayed contained while others had not and were now floating around in her head waiting to strike.

Her wounds from when I had first found her were healed though I knew that her back had to be severely scarred just like the rest of her body after what had happened. Her arms had bandages on them from where she had torn at them while going through one of her attacks. It told us more about her mental state then you would expect.

Her other golden eyed wolf had to have something to do with her parents. Not the ones that I knew but the reals ones who had left her with Alpha Zayden. I wasn't sure how it all connected yet but it did. Somehow it did, and I just had to figure it out.

I pulled into the driveway to the house and slowly parked the car out front. I didn't want to wake Elinn up, but I knew if I didn't she would be very disoriented when she awoke in a strange house. I hesitantly shook her shoulder and whispered

"We're here."

AN: I am so sorry for all the confusion today let me explain a little bit. Wattpad has been experiencing some big tech issues including the ability for authors to publish new material. So when I tried to publish last night and through the day the times where my book was really all there were splotchy. Sometimes new chapters were there and other times they weren't I am so sorry for all this once again. Until next time, bye bye!