Chapter 32: Nightmares

Carter

"So how exactly did you and my sister meet. You said something about her old pack not treating her well, what were you talking about?" Xander asked as we walked.

At the mention of Elinn's old pack, my wolf let out a low menacing growl. We didn't like to think about what had happened, let alone talk to somebody I barely knew about it. I wasn't sure Elinn would want me to tell them.

"It isn't my story to tell, and I suggest you don't go asking her about it. It's a touchy subject, she'll tell you when she is ready. Until that time just know that it was very bad, bad enough to leave scars." Darius must have sensed my aggravation and changed the subject.

"So tell us about your pack Carter. After all we should get to know the area where our little sister will be spending a lot of time," Darius said cheerily.

"Well we are one of the largest packs out there, but I assume you already knew that. My father stepped down from the Alpha position about three years ago when I took over. My younger brother Nathan is my Beta and one of my close friends Johna is my Delta. There are over a thousand people in the pack and they all pull their weight. Everyone is expected to train at least once a week though we encourage more." I felt pride while I talked about the wolves I took care of and led. They were some of the finest people I had ever met.

"It sounds like you've got a good group of wolves around here. I'm glad to see that you genuinely care for your pack. Some alphas we've met are simply in it for the title and the glory." Xander confided in me and I nodded my agreement.

We all walked in silence for about an hour before we heard the sound of feet pounding against the ground. The warriors who had come with Darius and Xander began to get into defensive positions. When I caught a whiff of the scent I let out a sigh of relief.

"No worries, he's a friend. If one of you jumps my brother I may get a tad bit upset at you." I chuckled and walked forward to greet Nate. He burst through a group of tree's and shifted midair into his skin.

"Carter, what the hay? You just had Chad mindlink me to get down here and for what? Why are you carrying Elinn? Is she hurt? Do I need to call the pack Doctor?" Nate questioned running up to me. He examined Elinn and after determining that there was nothing wrong seemed to relax significantly.

"Wait who are all these people? I didn't think we were expecting any visits soon?" Nate seemed to just be realizing there were other people around. I laughed and turned to make the proper introductions.

"Nate, these are Elinn's brothers. They were the ones who found her out in no man's land." Nate's jaw seemed to hit the floor. He looked at Elinn then up to Darius and Xander then back to Elinn.

"I'm Xander and this is my older brother Darius, it's nice to meet you," Xander said shaking Nate's hand.

"Why didn't she tell us that she had a family? You would think the first thing she would want to do when she woke up would be to call them," Nate asked.

"She didn't recognize us, we knew it was her but she wasn't able to tell we were related. If nothing else her wolf should have been able to tell her that much." Darius sounded worried about the whole thing.

"Elinn has experienced some things that may have caused her to forget things. Her wolf also hasn't been in the best condition. She hasn't shifted yet so the bond isn't very strong and she doesn't know much about our kind. Like I said earlier not the best living conditions," I reiterated to the brothers.

I heard whimpering and turned to see where it was coming from. None of the warriors were injured nor were they making any noise. I realized the whimpers were coming from me, or more accurately what was in my arms.

Elinn was beginning to quiver and her whimpers turned into groans. It sounded like she was in pain, my wolf began to grow anxious. I wasn't sure what was wrong and Elinn was still asleep.

"Elinn, sweetheart I need you to wake up and tell me what's wrong. Elinn.....Elinn," I shook her but nothing was happening. I tried some more but it didn't work.

"Carter, what's happening?" Xander asked from behind me.

Before I could respond Elinn started to scream as if something was killing her. Her body thrashed in my arms and I had to sit down to ensure she didn't throw herself out of my hold.

"No please stop! I promise I'll be good I promise! Please no more, it hurts! I'm sorry, I'm sorry I was a bad girl, please make it stop!" Elinn's screams seemed to be the only sound in the whole woods. She was having a nightmare about what had happened back in her old pack.

The other wolves began to crowd around her and if she woke up with this many people it wouldn't end well. She didn't like crowds on a good day, but right after a nightmare that would be bad.

"Get away from her! She's scared and you're going to scare her more. Go over there all of you," My words were so full of power that even the warriors from the other pack obeyed me.

Elinn shot up and her eyes opened seconds later. She was still screaming and there were tears running down her cheeks. Her eyes were full of pain and fear, I could tell she didn't remember where she was or why she was here. I moved so that I was kneeling in front of her.

"Elinn, it's me, it's Carter. I know you're scared right now, but you're safe. No one here is going to hurt you, I won't let them. You aren't in that house anymore, you aren't with him anymore. You have me now and I'm not going to let anything like that happen ever again." She looked in my eyes as I said it all. Then without a second thought, I pulled her into my arms. She sobs slowly grew quieter and after a while, I was pretty sure she had fallen back asleep.

"What just happened?" Xander's statement reminded me there were other people here.

"That is what her past has done to her. That is what her twelve years away from you were. That was her hell, and she is fighting hard to get out of it." With that I scooped her back up and continued walking not caring if anyone else followed me, I had Elinn and that was all that mattered.

AN: Thank you all so much for the support you give this book. I am so glad that you are all reading, commenting on, and enjoying the book. We are almost at thirty-six thousand! Until next time, bye bye!