9. we're robin

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters. I do not own Derek Hale. However I do own Skylar McCall and some of the things that come along with her plot (Like Harv & Kelly's, etc.).

☽❁☾

     I wake up in a clearing—a familiar clearing, in the preserve. My body gently lays flat on my back, the dirt feeling like a pillow as my eyes peel open. In Beacon Hills it rarely snows, but a few flakes drift through the tree tops here and there, glistening in the tiny bit of sunlight peeking through the clouds. I sit up, getting a head rush as I do so, and look around. It is daytime, yet the shadows of the forest still project an eerie atmosphere. I'm scared but I don't know why.

In the distance, wolves howl—hundreds of them it sounds like. I spring to my feet as the sunlight drifts completely behind the clouds and the clearing darkens. A tree branch snaps behind me and I turn, and then another snaps behind me and I turn again. Glowing red eyes stare back at me, menacing, and I back up. The wolf emerges, stalking towards me on all fours, just as monstrous as it was the night it bit my brother. I hear footsteps running towards us—sounding human, but at an inhumanly fast pace.

A figure rushes into the clearing, and it takes me a moment to realize who it is. The coined leather jacket is what gives the identity away. On Derek's face is an expression I've never seen on him before: fear. Not just fear—terror. His green eyes lock onto mine with desperation, and he looks between me and the wolf.

"You can't take her!" he shouts definitively, charging full-speed towards me, but he is too slow. The wolf crosses the distance between us in seemingly no time and opens his large jaw, fitting my entire shoulder in his mouth and digging his teeth into my chest and shoulder blade. This is when I realize that this is all a dream, because this type of pain is something I have only ever experienced in a dream state.

Despite knowing it's not real, I can't gain control over any of it. I fall to the dirt and Derek catches me as I do so, the emotions so clear on his face that it only confirms that this is not real life. The wolf has disappeared, leaving just us here. Derek's eyes water but no tears drip down his cheeks. Even in a dream he refuses to show that type of weakness. He brushes my hair out of my face and leans down close to me in the best embrace he can given the circumstances, and he apologizes over and over again, until finally I snap back to reality.

When I open my eyes, my face is wet. What a wild dream, I think to myself. It really came out of nowhere. One of the things that bothers me the most: why did my brain separate Derek and the wolf? Consciously I am aware that they are the same person. Maybe for a born werewolf it is different, I think, remembering Scott telling me that the two are not the same. Maybe for them it is more like having two separate identities: human and wolf. Maybe that's why I can never get a real read on Derek as a person.

By the time I've gotten up and gotten ready for school, Scott comes into my room and—surprise—he tells me about a crazy dream he had as well. Though his was a bit different. It was about Allison, which, ew, but it ended with him shifting into a wolf and attacking her in one of the school buses. Literally ripping her to shreds—which is concerning, considering he's supposed to go out with her tomorrow night.