Chapter 24

“Noah, it’s so good to see you. You’ve become so tall and handsome just like your father.” said his mom softly looking at her son in awe.

I smiled but next to me Noah was still tensed and angry like he didn’t know what to say. His mom turned to me when he didn’t respond. “I am Olivia.” She said raising one hand in my direction.

I lifted my arm and shook her hand just once. “ I am Rebecca, it’s good meet you…” I trailed off. I didn’t really know what to call her. Calling her Mrs. James or something would be really inappropriate so I couldn’t finish my sentence.

“You can call me Olivia. It’s good to meet you too.” She said to me warmly with a smile on her face. Noah glared at her.

“What do you want?” he asked harshly. I told him to be nice but it doesn’t look like he is even trying to behave well. I squeezed his hand warningly.

Olivia just shook her head; the smile was wiped off her face. “I don’t want anything. I just want to meet my son.” She said.

“I was your son before you abandoned me, not anymore. Why are you really here?” he said. His mom flinched by the anger in his voice.

She looked like she was going to cry, she was trying really hard not to. “I am so sorry Noah. What can I do to make you forgive me?” she asked desperately.

Noah shook his head in disbelief. “I can never forgive you. You never tried to call or meet me to see even if I was alive and now suddenly after four years you remember I am your son. If this is what you are here for its not going to happen.” He said turning around ready to walk away.

“Please don’t go. Just let me explain.” His mom begged. Noah took a step pulling me with him but I didn’t move.

Noah looked at me pleadingly; his eyes were begging me to leave with him. I shook my head and looked away from his face which I have trouble saying no to. He sighed deeply and turned around to face his mom again. “Say what you have and let’s get this over with.” He said running his free hand through his hair. Our hands were still intertwined the way they were.

“I and your dad never loved each other, it was a compromise. Our parents forced this upon us it was not our wish. Your dad was always busy in his work, I felt so lonely then I had you. I thought things will get better between us but we drifted further apart. I tried really hard to make it work but your dad didn’t. I always dreamed about a perfect life but then it was just like a nightmare.” said Olivia.

“I don’t…” Noah said looking at his feet lost. He must be feeling bad for behaving so rudely with his mother but nothing is completely lost yet.

“I know you probably wouldn’t understand this but Richard made me want to dream again. I never meant to leave you Noah but your dad wouldn’t let me take you. He said it was the only thing he cared about was you. I know I should have stayed but I was so tempted to begin the life I always wanted. I love you son, forgive me please, and try to understand.” She begged.

Noah had become as still as a statue. “I didn’t see this coming.” He mumbled softly enough for me to hear. He looked at me with an unreadable expression and then stepped towards his mom and hugged her.

She sobbed on his shoulder softly and he held her. They pulled away and Noah’s eyes were filled with tears but he was doing well controlling it. “I am sorry I have been so hard on you. I didn’t know. I miss you mom.” He said honestly.

“Let’s go home. I just have to drop Rebecca first.” Noah said and looked at me with a small smile on his face.

He is still thinking about me. I can go on my own without falling or getting run over by a car, he needs time to bond with his mom. “I will be fine, I’ll walk it’s not that far.” I protested.