9. First Day

I had quit my job the night after I'd made it into Vita Alta. I was now a full time bodyguard and I needed to make sure that I was focused on the most important thing: my client.

"You're the Fiorentino's new bodyguard. Each of them has chosen a personal bodyguard whom they feel safest with and their bodyguards have been with them for over a decade. The only person who's always changing bodyguards is Marco Fiorentino." Rob stopped talking and looked at the file in front of him.

"Why? Don't ask me. As of right now, he doesn't have one. You've been requested by him. Therefore, you'll be assigned to him," he continued. I held my mouth shut, refraining from showing my surprised reaction. I nodded instead.

Marco requested me?

We were sitting in Robs office, which was quite bland. There was a picture of a woman— I assume his wife— on his desk. The room was mostly dark wood themed. The walls were an ugly beige and had medals and plaques on them. He'd achieved a lot apparently. The one directly behind his head read: the worlds greatest husband. I smiled to myself and then realized that he had gotten up. I stood up as well and watched as he went to a cabinet closer to the door. He typed in a code and took out a small bag.

"Here's everything you'll need." He handed me the bag which was kind of heavy. "Inside you'll find your weapon, your badge, and your earpiece. You are to keep it in at all times in which you are on duty." The pistol came with a holster and I placed it on my right hip. As I was putting in the earpiece, there was a knock at the door. Rob told the person on the other side to come in. A short, chubby man walked in with a suit and an earpiece with a cord sticking out. He saw me, and then motioned for Rob to lean in. He whispered something to him and Robs eyes met mine.

"Oh. No need to whisper. This is Zhara Embin. Marcos new bodyguard." The man looked me over and gave me a short nod.

"Tom Berry." I greeted him with a smile.

" Tom was just telling me that tonight the Fiorentino's are having a celebration over at their place. You'll need to head over there now to meet up with all the guards and the Fiorentino's to talk about the security arrangements." He told me to go with Tom. As we walked through the hallways of Vita Alta, I heard people fighting and training. I saw a directional sign hanging from the ceiling that read shooting range with an arrow pointing to the right. We made it to Toms car and during the car ride he told me about himself.

On his recent birthday (he turned 47), he had gone to Italy to mourn the death of his wife Jillian. She had also been a bodyguard like him. They'd worked together for 12 years before finally tying the knot. 6 years after they'd gotten married, they had a job in Italy and long story short, he made it, but she didn't. He's been on the Fiorentino's security team longer than anyone.

By the time Tom, whom I'd realized was quite the talker, was finished telling me about his daughters graduation, we'd arrived.

"Woah," I said quietly. The house was massive. I mean, the outside of the mansion was the prettiest soft white I'd ever seen. Almost a creamy white. It was a Spanish styled mansion with a black sandstone driveway. There were trees surrounding it and on the side of the house were stairs that led down to the backyard, most likely. Tom and I got out of the car and walked around the other dark Cadillacs that were parked. He rang the doorbell and a small Asian woman opened the door.

"Hello," she said and motioned for us to come in.  She led us towards the kitchen, through the living room and out to the balcony. The backyard was beautiful. There was a large, very blue pool in the center of the yard. It wrapped around the edge of their land and the water looked like it was running off the hill. At the fire pit, I saw Mr. Rossi Fiorentino talking to one of the guards I recognized from the stages. They walked over with glasses of what looked like whiskey.