Chapter 2

My eyes flickered open. The bright light was blinding. When my eyes finally adjusted to the bright light I looked around at my surroundings. I was on a street filled with houses. I looked up to find a streetlight blaring its yellow-tinted lights. My head felt heavy. I reached to rub my neck. It was painful to the touch. I was too tired to move. I stayed sitting. Looking up at the moon and stars. Such a beautiful sight. Sometimes we take for granted what the world has to give us. We walk the streets and see the greenery and we don't stop and think how amazing it actually is. The fresh air is a drug. The most natural drug we can ever take. And we take it for granted. I let out a heavy sigh. I finally stand up. I look down at my clothes. Weird. I don't remember putting this on. I shrug it off. I start walking to get to my house. I notice a pain. A pain that I have never experienced before. The pain is coming from my private area. That's unusual, I think to myself. I walk further down until I'm suddenly hit with memories. The guy, the mask, his pants. The pain. I start to violently shake. My head is dizzy. I sit down on the pavement. These are not my clothes. My breathing picks up. My chest tightens. All I could do was shed silent tears. The words repeating in my head over and over again "If you tell your mother dies."

I stay there for a while. Going through my thoughts. Even though I couldn't think straight. One thing I knew for sure, I could not tell anyone.

I find the strength to get up. I push myself off the cold pavement and walk towards my red brick house. As I near my house I could see the lights were all turned on. I walk faster, my mother is always in bed before dark. Always. As I near my doorway I hear voices inside. I open the door and I am met with a male police officer. Next to him, my mother stands, with tear-stained cheeks. When she laid her eyes on me, she immediately ran to me and gave me a massive hug. I could bearly breathe but I did not complain. I needed this. The police officer coughed, my mother pulled away and I was left cold again.

"Where have you been?" my mother asked while grabbing both of my arms."I was so worried, I thought something happened. You never come home this late. It's twelve a.m."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realise how late it was."

"It's ok honey. But where were you?"

My hands became sweaty. I needed to think of something. I looked at my mam, she was waiting for me to respond. Am I taking too long? That's suspicious, isn't it? Yeah, it definitely is.

"I was at my boyfriend's house" I blurted out the lie before I could stop myself.

My mother let out a gasp.

"Ma'am if you don't mind, I'm going to head off." The policeman interrupted.

"Oh yes. Sorry about this," My mam said, her cheeks heating up.

He walked past me. I jumped a little, walking backwards. I walked into something.

"Hey there. Earth to Maya. You stood on my toe you know" my mother said smiling playfully.

"Sorry," I said looking down.

"Hey," my mam lifted my chin up. "You okay?"

Her eyes were so soft and comforting. I never lied to her. And I vowed that I never would. I broke that vow now. There's no going back. I was tempted to tell her everything. To let it all out. But I knew I couldn't. He would get her. He wasn't lying. A least I don't think he was. Even if he was lying, there still could be a chance that he was telling the truth. I wouldn't risk it, especially because it's possible that he was telling the truth. I shuddered at the thought.

"I'm okay. Just tired." I replied.

"Go upstairs and go to bed." My mother commanded.

As I start climbing the stairs, my mam spoke.

"Tomorrow you're telling me all about your boyfriend."

Great.