Chapter 30

The pounding in my head is excruciating. I'm succumbed in the darkness. In the distance, I hear a beeping sound. I try and move but I can't. I want to shake my head, but I can't. I try and open my mouth to speak but I can't. I can't see anything. Am I dead? Is this heaven? What if I'm stuck in a coffin underground? I try and wiggle my toes and fingers but nothing happens. I feel numb all over. My eyelids feel heavy, all I want to do is open them. I try, but I can still only see the darkness. I try again. THERE - a little bit of light. I try again. Now there's a little bit more light. I close my eyes, the light too much to bear. I have to do this. I conjure up the courage to open my eyes fully. As I do, the light blinds me and I have to blink a few times to let my eyes adjust to it. The pain in my head is still as prominent as ever. When my eyes have adjusted I stare at the white ceiling, with lights built into the ceiling, shining a bright light all around me. The beeping has grown louder now and I can feel it all around me. I try and sit up, but I fail. My muscles and bones feel too weak to do anything but lie down. I try and speak but when my mouth moves, nothing is heard. I try again and as expected, no sound comes out. My mouth feels too dry.

"Hello?" I finally manage to choke out in a soft whisper.

"Maya." Instantly a figure looms over me a shocked expression covering her whole pale face. Her hair cascades down her face while looking down upon me. Her smile widens. I smile at the beautiful sight of my mother.

"Nurse!" she calls out from the side of the bed. Nurse? Am I in hospital?

"What's going on?" I choke out.

Her hands move to my head and strokes it. "It's ok. You don't have anything to worry about."

I'm sure those words were meant to be reassuring but somehow they have done the complete opposite. Why isn't she telling me anything? I begin to open my mouth to ask another question but I'm interrupted by another figure looming over me. She's dressed in a nurse outfit. He hair is tied back, her smile is prominent on her rounded face.

"Hi, Maya. How do you feel?" Kathleen asks.

"My head hurts."

She nods, jotting it down on a small pink notebook that she pulled out of her pocket. I eye the pen moving as she writes. She grabs something from beside the bed.

"I'm just going to check your eyes."

I nod and she leans in with a bright light shining into my eye. She tells me a direction in which I have to look, I obey every command until she finally leans back. She whispers something into my mother's ear. I can't make out what she's saying. Kathleen comes back into view.

"I'm going to run a few tests."

I nod and she begins working. I'm not sure exactly what she does but I don't have the energy to ask. The only thing that I know what she's doing is when she wraps a band around my arm measuring the blood pressure. When she's finished she goes out from my vision and I can hear whispers. Once again she comes back.

"Maya, do you know where you are?" she asks.

I nod. "The hospital."

She smiles at my answer. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"Good." she nods in approval. "Your last name?"

"Lynn"

"Great." she pats my arm. "I'll notify the doctor and he'll be with you shortly." She moves out of my view and my mother comes back.

"Why am I here?" I ask looking at her. She moves her eyes away from mine. I start to grow nervous. "Mam?"