Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I could feel myself waking up. The air was cool and the place I laid upon was soft. With my finger tips I brushed the cloth softly. It was silky and cool beneath me. I opened my eyes and closed them as soon as I opened them. The room was so bright. After a few minutes, I opened my eyes slowly.
I looked up at the ceiling. It was covered in small red flowers and golden vines. A canopy of cloth hung over me. I sat up slowly and across from the me was a big window. It was night and the sky was dotted with stars. Lit candles laid around the floor giving an orange glow to the room.
I reached to touch my back and just as I suspected they were there. I ran my fingers through my wings. They were softer than silk.
I stood up from the jumble of pillows and cloth that I laid upon and started to head towards the window. I sat on the edge and let my foot dangle from the side.
"It's a beautiful view." I turn towards Chakshu who had just entered the room. "Nadia told me you sprouted your wings just as I left. Poor thing she looked like she has seen death herself."
"I'm sorry I scared her." I look towards Chakshu. He looked at me in wonder. I looked down and saw I was wearing a white silk camisole.
"Now I see what all those angels see in you."
"Oh yeah? That I need to die because I'm different?"
"Like you have bounty hunters, you have admirers too."
"Uh hu." I looked back at the sky and Max popped in my mind. His smile sticks to my head. I wonder what his laugh would sound like. Of all my time with him, he never has. I bet it would sound like something never heard before.
"What's your next adventure now that you have ended here?" Chakshu said softly, interrupting my thoughts.
"I don't know. I don't want this. I wish it could be taken away. I wish I was back to being a spoiled brat who beat her brothers at everything. I wish I was taken to balls I have always hated and find a suitor. And the suitor I choose will ask me for marriage and we would have four children named Mary, Jared, Steven, and Susan. Then I will grow old and have grandchildren. After a few years I would die at age 75." I cried out in defeat. Tears pricked my eyes. I looked down at the city. I watched all the people walking around minding their life's. How simple they were.
"You know you're not the only one with problems. Your's are just a little over the limit. You see that woman. She has to beg for money because her miserable husband only has money for booze. Her son died a year ago because of bad nutrition. Until now he had a proper burial. You were there."
I looked down at my lap ashamed at myself for being so selfish. He sure can make a person feel wrong.
"You're The Eye. Can you see the future?" I looked at him. I needed hope I needed to know I can do this.
"I only see two roads for you. One good and one bad. Your actions is what will lead you to one of the roads."
"So I have a chance."
"Yes. You could say that but it's up to you to make it happen."
We gazed at the stars for a while. I kept wondering what I had to do. I came to a blank. First things first though. I needed to make sure the others were okay.
"How about securing me a passage back to America?" I asked Chakshu.
"It would be my pleasure but that trip would be pointless." He said with a smile.
"How come?"
"I got a surprise for you."
He stood up and grabbed my hand. He led me out of the room and into the hallway. We walked for a few minutes and then we went into a room. Standing in the middle of the room were my three favorite men and a girl I thought I would never see again until days passed. Max was the first to turn at the sound of the door opening.
"Esmeralda." He whispered.
I ran towards my family. The world felt like it stopped moving and it took a minute for every step I took. I wanted them close to me again. I wanted them with me once again. I embraced them in one great embrace. Tears ran down my face. I was so happy to see them. Just when I was about to lose hope, I got the most precious things I valor the most. I got my family back.
With them here I was ready to fight. I was ready to confront this battle that was sanding in front of me. I knew I wasn't going to do it alone.
I pulled away and wiped the tears away. My wings shuffled a little and went stilly
"You're here. How?" I asked, surprise seeped in every syllable.
"You see your new friend over there. He came to us and brought us here." Xander explained.
"How did you know to trust him?"
"When he told us about your attitude we knew it was you. No need to explain more." Brian says. I smile at them, glad that they are here.
"Well you know me. I need to say something to leave my mark."
"She leaves quite a mark." Chakshu massages his neck and then pops it. Chills run down my spine and I turn to Max.
"By the way the wings look good." Xavier said lightly.
"I think I might get some myself. I would look good wouldn't I?" Brian smiled at me. I nodded at him with a smile.
"What's the update with the angels up there?" I try to avoid eye contact with Max. I still am confused at what happened. I could still feel his lips on mine.
"They are angry at the fact Abbodon caught you. But you're here now so that's all that matters. We need to keep you safe more than ever. When Abbodon hears you escaped he will be angry more than ever. He may come get you himself. Escaping did have it's consequences" Max says seriously. I look at his face to search for any signs of happiness but I find nothing. I only see worry and anger. I don't know what to feel about this. This meeting wasn't what I expected it to be.
"Oh.... That means more training?" I ask.
"Yes that means more training. We will be back to it tomorrow morning. Of course if you don't mind." Max turned to Chakshu.
"Of course not. Just don't go to harsh on her. She just came out of Hell. She must be very weak." Chakshu glanced at me worriedly.
"Of course I will take care of her."
"Um hello. I'm standing right here. I think I can decide if I'm weak or not." I say, angered at them. Thinking of it I'm feeling a little dizzy. Or it may be my brain. I walk over to Xavier and let him embrace me just in case. "Don't let go of me." I whisper to him. He rubs my back reassuring me he won't.
"You're getting to big for this with those wings." Xavier chuckled.
"I don't care. I want you to hold me so you will."
"Are you tired Esme?" Xavier asks softly.
"Yes I am. I could sleep for centuries." I yawn into his chest.
"I'll lead you all to your rooms. Esme I'm sure you can find your way now. All of you can sleep with no worries now. This house is protected from any being. Maximilian I hope you don't mind but I placed your room next to Esmeralda's. I have a feeling you would want to be there. The rest follow me." Chakshu announces.
Xavier kisses my forehead and walks out. I stare after them afraid never to see them again.
I turn to Max and he is staring at me intently. I walk towards him and touch his face. I take in his aroma. I run my hand on his chest. I am unable to believe he is really here. I glance at every part of him. I look up at him and he brings his lips to mine. Our lips embrace each other and we share a long lasting kiss. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me closer. I hold onto his face afraid to let go. Our kiss turn to two and then three until it becomes into a river of kisses.
He whispers to me unable to believe I'm here. I reassure him I'm still here. Every word he speaks to me, I soak up like a sponge.
I finally pull away. I stare at his dark eyes. I smile up at him and give him one last kiss.
"You know what kept me sane when I was down there?" I whisper to him. His face goes dark of the reminder. "The memory of you kept me sane." His face softened and kissed my hand.
"I promise you Esmeralda I will never let you go again. I wouldn't be able to live through it again." Max whispered.
"You can't make promises you can't keep. I got a mind of my own and what ever I decide I will do. There is no going back. And right now I decide I want you." I kiss him and I grab his hand.
I lead him outside and to my room. I bring him down with me on the pile of pillows and I let him embrace me. My body fits perfectly to his. His body let's out all the heat I need. He diggs his face into my hair and breaths me in. I interlace my fingers with his and I kiss our fingers. I close my eyes and I let myself fall into the pool of darkness. This time peacefully.