SEVEN.

❛ funny thing about this heart of mine;
it knows what it wants. ❜
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

RIVER WRITHED HIS hands nervously, tapping them against the steering wheel of his truck as he proceeded down the road, exiting the rural parts of the city and entering into the suburbs.

It had been four days since he last saw Ronnie and not a moment has passed that he had forgotten about that kiss. It was a simple cheek kiss that shouldn't have endeavored that much of an affect on him—but as always anything pertaining to her made him putty in her hands.

He vividly remembered every detail; how soft her lips were when they pressed against his cheek, how her sticky lipstick left an imprint on the right side of his face, how her cool breath sent shivers down his spine.

Everything between them was becoming more complicated. Every time he tried to stop thinking about her, he'd instantly get reeled back in. If he was being completely honest—this was starting to terrify him. River never developed a crush on anyone this fast, especially since this is his first time being interested in a woman in years.

And at times he would look into Ronnie's eyes and he'd almost be certain that she too felt the connection between them. But she never acted upon them and that would be the gut wrenching reminder to River that they were only friends.

River's pickup truck eased along the smooth gravel roads, trudging uphill to the small gated community that she lived in. River hadn't been back to Ronnie's house since she first rescued him from that alley, even then he never fully acknowledged how superb the houses were.

It seemed as if she lived in Bel-Air compared to the slums of his neighborhood. He followed the directions the security guard led him to and drive down the long street, pulling into Ronnie's driveway.

Looking around at the scenery and the outside of the house, River inhales a deep breath and releases it as he walks along the pathway that led to the stairs. In his hands he held a small bouquet of flowers. Earlier today when he was getting dressed, Teddy had cane over bombarding him with a plethora of non ending questions about Ronnie.

River didn't give him too much insight, just that they'd been friends for a short period of time and that he was preparing to go over her house. Of course, that only alluded Teddy to start making jokes claiming that the two of them were going to engage in sexual activities together.

River rolled his eyes, chastising his friend and negating that claim while he continued to dressed.

He finally makes it to the front door. River runs a hand over his clothes and through his tousled hair before bringing a hand up to knock. He waits patiently, wiping his sweaty hands on his pants and shifting his weight between his feet.

It's only seconds later when he hears soft pattering of footsteps drawing near. River fixes his shirt once more just as the door is being pulled open. Ronnie appears in the doorway—a smile on her lips, hair flowing past her shoulders and wearing a dress that seemingly complimented her figure.

"Right on time." She pulls the door open and stepped aside, allowing him to enter her abode. He smiles in return as he steps inside, instantly feeling the cool air brushing against his skin.

"I got these for you—I know this is not a date or anything, um, I figured I'd bring something and these are the only thing that came to mind." He relishes, handing over the bouquet and nervously watching as she takes them in her hands.