SEVENTEEN.

can't breathe without you
by my side. ❜
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

"WAIT RIVER." Ronnie called, casting the white blouse she previously held in her hand aside along with the small pile of cluttered clothes that furbished her bed and followed behind him as he proceeded down the stairs.

"What is it Ronnie I'm supposed to meeting Teddy down at the bar in fifteen minutes." River inquires, mellowing an impatient sigh as his azure irises flickered to his wrist watch. The raucous tone that clouded his voice made her frown slightly. For the past few days he's been acting secluded towards her and she couldn't fathom why.

At first, she came to the conclusion that he was still infuriated with her about going to Boston but River quickly assured her of his support - saying that he was ecstatic about the opportunity that she's been granted. But Ronnie couldn't help but feel that there was a deeper issue that resided amongst him.

"I just wanted to talk. We haven't been exactly doing that these past few days and I just want to make sure that you're okay." She retorts softly - reaching out to interlace her fingers with his only to be rejected. Pulling his hands from her grasp, River's hands thread through his tousled blond hair. He rebuffs as he walks toward the hall closet and grabs his jacket.

"For the hundredth time I'm fine, Ronnie. There we talked; can I leave now or is there anything else you want to ask me?" She resists the urge of replying back with an equally brusque comment, though still feigning animosity towards him for his impudent behavior. Ronnie intended to have a conversation with him but she was in no mood to converse with him any longer if he continued to berate her.

"You don't have to worry about me asking you anything else."

Ronnie pivots and proceeds back upstairs to the bedroom where she continued packing her clothes in her suitcase. It's not long before she hears his heavy footsteps sauntering from down the hall trailing in her direction. She could hear him entering into the bedroom.

"Ronnie, I'm sorry—" He begins to plead but instantly comes to an abrupt halt once she turns around to face him.

"I don't want to hear that right now. I wanna know why you've been acting like a jackass for the past three days, River." Her voice is stern, demanding. She has her arms folded across her chest while her dark eyes stalk down upon him, waiting for his response. River stood adjacent from her; leaning his body against the dresser with his eyes thwarted with shame.

He was fully aware of his behavior and understood that it was causing her pain to hear him speaking so harshly towards her but that was his intention. River devised a plan, coming to a conclusion that if he mistreated Ronnie then it would be easier for her to make the decision of moving without having to consider his feelings.

But as he stood there, River could detect that his plan had a few misfortunes. Shrugging his shoulders and maintaining his primary focus on the taupe colored fabric of his plush carpet, he mutters a response. "I'm trying to make it easier."

"Make what easier?"

Finally discovering a small taint of strength he lifts his head and meets her gaze - her thick eyebrows corrugated and her lips twisted into a moue frown. "For you to leave. So it won't hurt too much if you do decide to go." Feeling a combination of perplexity and vexation, Ronnie shakes her head and chides lowly as she allows a peevish chortle to slur between her lips.