➳ twenty five

For Joy, what Sungjae said shouldn't mean anything anymore.

They are just worthless words coming from a worthless man's mouth.

But at the same time, that worthless man used to mean everything to her and the fact that he's also a part of her treasure namely Areum, it was so hard not to feel anything at all.

She heard a lot of times from her Mother friends that grudge won't take your resentful heart on to peace it aims for. Grudge should only be felt and not be acquiesced.

Joy admits that through all the four years of struggle, and maybe also to the next years, the peacefulness she's meaning to get won't be completely hers. There will always be the anxious feeling of Areum looking for her father in the future.

Joy still somehow blame herself that her daughter must grow up without a father. It was partly her fault and maybe will be her fault until the end if she won't tell Areum the truth.

But what if that venom must be imposed to that someone to assure your own safety from him? Does that still make you a bad person?

What if Joy is just saving Areum from bigger heartache namely Yook Sungjae? Does that make Joy a selfish mother?

There's a lot of thoughts going on around Joy's head but one thing she's proud of is that; she did not cry.

Sure, she did let her guard down by looking weak in front of him but she did not cry and that's enough for Joy to prove that she actually moved forward.

It's already 7 in the evening when Dasom and Areum arrived. Joy was a bit doubtful on how Dasom managed to take care of Areum for such a long time because sometimes, the little girl get annoyed over something really small and will look for her mom for comfort.

When Joy opened the door, Areum is smiling widely while holding a beautiful doll. Joy raised an eyebrow to Dasom, "You bought that?"

Dasom just shrugged her shoulders, the two are silent as they walk pass Joy.

It was indeed suspicious because Areum is not even talking when Joy expected her to tell a lot about her adventures in the amusement park.

"I'll take Areum to bed," Dasom presented which made Joy feel more doubtful.

"She needs to eat dinner first," said Joy and walk towards Areum who's busy taking off her shoes without even asking for help.

"Areum-ah, how's the date with Unnie?" Joy questioned after giving her a peck on the cheeks.

Areum's face lit up, "It was amazing, Eomma! The rides are funny and I met a lot of new friends, they gave me this!" She exclaimed with her face looking all cute while showing Joy the pretty doll. "I was sad because you are not there to feel the happiness too," Her expressions changed quickly, her eyes giving her sad looks.

Joy's heart feels so proud of how she raised Areum so well, Areum is such a caring and sweet kid, "Don't worry, next time I'll come with you too," She promised.

Areum looks so tired and she even yawned, "Baby, let's eat dinner first before you sleep, okay?" Joy reminded the little girl who's almost about to doze off.

"Actually we already ate dinner. But I'll eat again after I take Areum to bed so you can have someone to eat with," Dasom said and hurriedly took Areum to Joy's room and shut it as if the two of them owns it, leaving the mother alone in the living room with things going on around her head.

What is wrong with Dasom?

Joy waited patiently while drying the mugs.