Chapter 21- First Shift

Mariah

It's been three days since my mate and her father met face to face...and it's honestly gone a lot better than I expected it to.

Juniper and Quill have talked a lot in these past few days, everything from his relationship with her mother and why he chose what he did...to the reasons she's been trying to find him after all these years...

We had discussed a lot about June's inability to shift...and after getting the potential 'family history of late shifting' off the table, we were left with the answer that it was more than likely due to Juniper unintentionally doing it herself...and that the best way to fully embrace her werewolf side, is to embrace the person who gave it to her.

And she has.

It's been heartwarming to watch June grow closer to him...to know that her father wants her in his life. It's been a relief to feel her anxiety melt away...

But she's still frustrated, because despite her growing bond with her father...she still doesn't feel any closer to shifting at all...and it's made her impatient. I've tried telling her that it'll take time...but she's still frustrated. She wants to be closer to her wolf...and to me, and I want that too...but these things can't be rushed.

"Why aren't you asleep? It's three in the morning..." June's sleepy voice calls out to me as she joins me at my place in the window, the view from the Harvest Moon pack house even more beautiful under the light of the half full moon. Both Alpha Roy and Quill insisted we stay here instead of the hotel while we're in Oklahoma, and considering our hotel room wasn't cheap we took the offer happily.

And from the fact they didn't even bother to ask if we wanted to share a room, I have a feeling they both know we're mates...even if they haven't said anything to us. I'm not suprised though...neither of us were trying to hide it. And we all but said it to Quill in our talks...

"My wolf is restless tonight...what about you?" I murmur back as I pull her closer, her arms wrapping around me as she tucks her head under my chin.

"Mine too...she wanted to discuss something with me." She replied.

"And what was that?"

"We both discussed it....and we're ready for you to mark us." She answers a bit nervously, and my breath catches in my throat.

"You are?" I question, and she nods.

"I know I said I wanted to wait until I went through my first shift...but that could mean waiting for months...or even years...and I don't want to wait that long Marzie. I want to be closer to you now...to carry your mark and be linked to you...to let everyone know that I'm yours."

My heart pounds erratically at her words, my wolf howling with excitement hearing our mates confession. I lean back and tilt her face up to mine, her crimson blush mixed with the pale light of the moon.

"Are you sure? Right now?" I ask with slight hesitation, already feeling my canines descending in anticipation. She nods shyly, and I immediately act on instinct and attack her lips with mine, swallowing her gasp of surprise as her body arches against me...the sparks exploding between us bringing a rumbling purr in my chest.

I move my way from her mouth to her jaw, then her neck...quickly but thoroughly leaving a trail of kiss marks in my wake. Her soft gasps and mewls only encouraging me as I reach the curve of her shoulder, and she jumps in surprise at the feeling of my canines grazing her sensitive skin.