-Epilouge-

~Two years later~

"Earth to Julian?"

I snap out of my thoughts and look to see Scarlett's worried eyes on me. Crap, we're having a meeting, and I zoned out again.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?"

She just shakes her head and sighs.

"Julian, what's going on with you? You've been far more distracted than usual."

I sigh, and open my mouth to give her a vague answer.

"If you claim tiredness as an excuse then I will throttle you. Don't feed me bullshit Jules, just tell me the truth."

I run a hand through my hair and sigh in resignation.

"It's Danielle...isn't it?" She deduces, how well she knows me.

"Yeah...it is."

Truth be told, my relationship with my mate Danielle is rocky to say the least. Her being human has made it difficult from the get go, then there was the fact that she is my complete opposite. Serious, focused, not the type to enjoy goofing off or having a lot of fun...of course, I do take things seriously...I just don't let my work consume my life and drain my ability to have fun.

We've been together in the mate sense for roughly two years now...but it hasn't progressed as much as I hoped it would by now. She still makes excuses as for why she's better living off of the pack land...and not sharing a home with me. She still has some hesitation about me...which hurts a little bit...but I understand...

But she always seems to be leaving town, or going out of state...and every time I offer to go with her, to meet her family or just spend more time with her, she makes even more excuses...

And even though she's let me mark her, which felt like she was just placating me so I'd leave her alone, we haven't mated...at all...

I just don't know what to do. I do love her, she's like the yin to my yang...she inspires me to do better at my role as Beta, and the occasions she does laugh are almost magical...

But I can't help but wonder if she really loves me back...

"Just be patient Jules, these kind of things take time...she is human after all..."

I nod, and she smiles.

"Go see her. Surprise her, I can handle the rest for tonight."

Grinning excitedly, I stand up.

"Thanks Red, I'll-"

A sudden wave of nausea hits me hard, and I stagger at the the feeling.

"Julian!?"

The sound of Scarlett's voice is distorted and muted...like she's a thousand miles away...the nausea hits again...as well as a burning pain in my shoulder...right above my heart...no...

"Get Juniper! Now!"

I feel the floor begin to sway beneath my feet, and just before my legs completely give out, Scarlett catches me...preventing me from hitting the ground.

I bring a hand to my burning shoulder, the pain now encompasses my heart as well, and the dull ache in my brain flairs painfully...

"Julian...oh goddess..."

I look up to see Scarlett's horrified eyes...and I can feel my world crumbling as her expression confirms my fears...

"I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry Jules..."