13

Faline looks at Lucius confused. "I thought we were going home to celebrate?" They most decidedly weren't at home. They are are back at the same part of the city they met the first time, ten years earlier.

Only now it looks even more deserted and dark, rundown. "Trust me, Faline." That's all Lucius says as he makes his way back to the cafe he first fed her.

On the way they pass the gas station and it's closed down and abandoned looking. That makes Faline sad.

Lucius opens the door to the cafe for Faline and lets her enter first. She's sad to see that it's almost completely empty. Even more empty than when they came her ten years ago. She is pleased to see the same waitress, Tina working there.

The two take their booth, the same they had ten years ago. This time Lucius doesn't order just coffee, he orders the same meal he had and doubles it for Faline. "And a chocolate shake," Faline puts in perkily. Although he's a vampire and doesn't really eat human food, Lucius has made sure that she eats healthily and has rarely let her have milkshakes.

But then today is a special day after all. The day her wolf presented, she rejected her mate and she found out it's her birthday. 

"Ten years ago today, I brought you here to this very cafe on our way home." Lucius says lost in thought.

"The irony of us celebrating this day as your birthday isn't lost on me." Rather than birthday it was celebrated more as a you found a home today. 

"I can't ever thank you enough for all you've done for me Lucius." Faline tells him with tears in her eyes.

"Hey, now no tears. Absolutely no tears today unless they are of happiness. I do have a gift for you, but I need to eat first. Please excuse me." Lucius slides out of the booth and finds the waitress.

"Is there anything else I can get for you, hun?" Tina asks as he pulls her towards the back near the restrooms.

Lucius pulls her into the women's room and slams her against the wall. "Yes," that's all Lucius says as he kisses down her throat. Tina moans before he bites into her. He covers her mouth so the sound of her pain filled scream isn't heard outside of the room.

Soon her sounds aren't filled with pain and Lucius uncovers her mouth.

Lucius has taken too much blood. He doesn't want to kill her. "Drink." Lucius orders and dazed the waitress does so. 

Lucius watches pleased as his gift to her works. The years start falling off the waitress's face.

Faline comes back to the restroom before he's finished with Tina. "Lucius, stop playing with your food. Are you done yet?"

Lucius immediately drops his hands from her and the waitress makes a little noise of dissatisfaction. Lucius smiles wickedly.

"Yeah, I'm done."

"You'll remember nothing of this. You'll be happy to just feel and look ten years younger and not question anything." Lucius orders the waitress.

"Thank you, but I'm afraid that's not going to work on me Lord Lucius."

Both Lucius and Faline stop as they were about to leave the restroom and look at the waitress before them.

Lucius is back in front of her before she can even blink. "Just what the hell are you? You aren't vampire or you'd already be dead. You aren't werewolf. The only ones in this city are here by permission only."

"I'm a witch. I haven't practiced in almost twenty years though. I didn't want to draw your attention to me. When you came in with young Faline ten years ago, I thought you'd found me and were going to kill me. What was it you did kill that night?" Tina thinks that she's dead so she might as well get an answer to the question that's been bugging her for ten years.

Lucius goes up to her and caresses her face. "They were wolves after Faline. Now, what to do with bad little witches that don't get permission?"

"Lucius, knock it off. You're not going to kill her." Faline says irritatedly.

Lucius snorts, "Of course not. White witches are hard to come by. I could have used your services many times over the years. Why didn't you ask permission?"

"I needed a place to hide. Many of my former coven had turned black and were hunting down the ones that didn't want to turn. I thought I'd take my chances with you. I have no desire to work black magic." Tina shivers in disgust. Black magic leaves a mark on the soul that doesn't ever leave. A filthy taint.

"You'll be under my protection now. Go ahead and set up shop. I expect that it will take some time before your shop will earn enough money to keep you. Stay here and waitress until it does." Lucius orders.

Tina shrugs and shakes her head. "I heard the owner just sold this cafe. The land is far more valuable than the cafe. As a matter of fact I believe the owner was about to shut down."

Lucius smiles an enigmatic smile. "Stay and work until you no longer need to or the new owner shuts down the cafe. Should the cafe be shut down before you are able to keep yourself by your shop, let me know."

"Lord Lucius, I would love nothing more," Tina says with tears in her eyes. She has missed practicing magic dearly. "But I haven't the money to open a shop like that. Not even here where rent is dirt cheap. Not that I'd get customers here."

"We'll be business partners. Soon this area won't be dirt cheap rent. I'll make sure that you have space. We'll talk later." Lucius hands her a business card. "Call me on your day off about this and we'll go over everything you'll need to know and all you'll need to do."

Stunned at the change of her fortunes Tina takes the business card and washes her hands preparatory to returning to work. The other two also wash their hands then return to their table. It doesn't take Tina long to bring them their meals.

"What's going on Lucius? You look like the cat that ate the cream."

"I've been quietly buying the empty buildings on this end of town for years. Tomorrow will set in motion the demolition of many of them. Soon this end of town will host high end living, new shopping locations and parks. By the end of the year the first buildings should be up and I already have tenants for both apartments and stores."

"That's great, but that's not all." Faline states that as fact.

"I bought this cafe for you. Happy birthday, Faline." Lucius tells her and smiles.