Population

My life is easy. I have a loving family, a mom a brother and 2 dogs. We live in a nice house in a quiet neighborhood. My friends are the best tho. They are so loyal and make life fun for me. School is also easy, I’m pretty well known and I’m a 2 sport varsity athlete.

The nights get hard for me. I have a reoccurring dream that our whole town gets wiped out by bombs and fire. It’s terrifying but it ends so I’ll be okay. After another easy day of school I get home and there are 2 vans outside my house. When I walk in the front door, 4 guys in suits grab me by the arms and demand I come with them. My mom starts yelling at them to let me go but they don’t even listen to her. They take me to the back of the van and inject me with a needle.

I wake up in a hospital a few days later. I get up and look out the window. All I see is a torn down city. Everything looks rusted and it’s all on fire. I don’t see anything green for miles. Then I hear a knock on the door. I tell them to come in and another guy in a suit walks in.

He asks me how I’m feeling and I demand to see my family. “That’s the thing” he says. The man in the suit begins to explain what happened.

“America had lost world war 3. Bombs had been dropped on every city killing the whole population. They say there are a few survivors they picked up. You were a special case. The radioactivity from the bombs and the trauma made your mind unstable. Your family and friends are all dead. The bombs killed everyone but you and you had imagined your family was still there through all the trauma.”

My dreams were just a memory replaying of the events that happened. Everyone I loved had been dead for 5 years. I ran to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I saw my narrow haughty face and my sunken in eyes. I decided to go back to my room and get some food. When I walked into the room, the man in the suit’s body was laying on the ground. It was decayed and moldy. So I ran.

I sprinted down the hospitals hallways and there were so many decayed corpses. I got outside and cried on the ground. How was I so stupid to not realize that I was the last one.

THE END.V