Close your eyes

I had never met my brother. He’s much older than me and he moved out when my mom and dad split. A few years ago my mom got really weird and couldn’t take care of me so I was sent to live with my dad.

I called my brother to talk to him about the news:
Call Starts
Me: How how are you?
Chris: I’m alright. This is hitting me hard
Me: Yea... me too. Did they tell you what happened?
Chris: No, apparently they haven’t even ruled out the cause of death but ...
Me: But what
Chris: Nothing
Me: Come on tell me. It wouldn’t be right to keep this information from me
Chris: Alright fine. You can’t think I’m crazy. Deal?
Me: Deal.
Chris: Well you know how moms house was really old? You know how we were told to not go into the basement? I might have broken that rule. I went down to to explore because I was really bored and it was just dark. All that was down there was a hall. And then It got really cold I turned on my flashlight and I saw a man standing - hovering in front of me. He had a smile that stretched from ear to ear and a tall black top hat, but that wasn’t the scariest thing. He was cut into 3 pieces and doing kind of a ... dance I ran upstairs and told mom. She said to me “Oh that’s Robert. Just close your eyes and count down from 10. He will leave you alone” I didn’t know what to think of this, but I never went in the basement again.
Me: So you think ... Robert killed mom?
Chris: No one could know. But I need to find out. Would you be down to go check out the house? It’s now ours anyways.
Me: Uh ... sure I guess
I didn’t believe the whole “Robert” thing so the next morning I got in the car and met my brother at the house. When we walked in, not much had changed. I don’t remember all of it, well I was very young when I lived here, so I was at ease. We looked around the house at old baby pictures and took in the memories until Chris asked me to come into the basement with him. I’m not sure why he’s so obsessed with finding justice.

We walked down the creaky stairs and instantly, Chris started looking around. He handed me the flashlight and I started looking around too. After some time, Chris started walking towards the hallway. He walked a little down the hall until he looked up and chuckled at a leak in the ceiling. But then he stopped laughing. I got really cold. My flashlight started to flicker and I pointed it towards his face.

Chris was staring right behind me and all of a sudden, he shut his eyes and started counting down.
10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1.
I looked behind me and saw a hand reached out ready to take mine. It was Robert.

THE END.