I'm Sorry

I take the same bus to and from work, so I have grown to remember a lot of the regulars. There is one man who I will never forget. His words haunt me to this day. I’d never seen the man going to work, but every night coming back.

he’d be sitting on the same bench waiting on the bus like clockwork. Every night while we’d both be waiting for the bus, I’d ask him “how are you doing?” And he’s always give the same reply. “I’m sorry.” I’d ask what for but never received a reply.

Night after night this would follow the same formula. Until one day he stopped showing up. I couldn’t help but feel relieved at his absence. Although this was accompanied by a slight sense of wonder of what might have happened to him.

The days went by and I eventually forgot about him. I would go through my routine as usual, and everything was good for the most part. I got home from work one night, and began checking the mail as I flipped on the TV. Several bills, but one letter stuck out to me.

It was an anonymous letter addressed to me in childlike handwriting. In it was a loose leaf paper entirely empty aside from the words, “because I have to kill you.” The letter drops from my hand as a cold chill runs up my spine. I waste no time, and call the police.

They arrive and I tell them who it likely is, but without any hard evidence, there isn’t much they can do. In a state of fear, and without much confidence being given by the police, I decide to move far away as soon as possible.

Months go by, and I have settled into a nice neighborhood with a loyal dog. Everything is great, and I couldn’t be happier with my new set up. I go take my dog for a nice morning walk, and get him back home for breakfast. I’m pouring food in his bowl when  I begin to hear him bark at the back door. I go over there and start looking out the door to see what could be out there. There is a man with his back to the door a few feet away. I say “excuse me, can I help you?”

He turns around and without missing a beat says, “I’m sorry.”

THE END.