chapter one

Sophia never imagined in a million years that she could make a living doing something fun. Her parents had always pushed her to go to school and get a sensible job, but nothing like that ever interested her. Sophia wanted to create things, to take photos, to edit videos, to pursue a career in makeup or music. She had a million interests and things she wanted to do, but none of them fit into the mold her parents pushed her into.

When they moved to Los Angeles from Venezuela when she was thirteen, she struggled to accept her surroundings. The kids at school made fun of her accent, and it only made the language barrier even more unbearable. Eventually, her parents let her do homeschool. She got a tutor for her English and eventually mastered the language perfectly, with barely a trace of an accent.

Now that she was 20, she knew she should be attending a university as her parents had intended, but that was never her plan. Sophia began making Youtube videos in her spare time while she was being homeschooled. She didn't know why or how, but her videos blew up in the Latin American countries. Once she learned better English and got more accustomed to her life in LA, she made videos in both English and Spanish. Her subscriber numbers were skyrocketing, she was getting amazing brand deals, and she was doing what she loved.

Sophia lived in an amazing penthouse apartment in LA that she designed herself with her best friend Marcia Lago. They met a few years because she was the daughter of her homeschool teacher. Marcia was also not a school person, much to the dismay of her mother. She'd taken a chance and become an interior decorator, which really paid off for her. Her design Youtube channel brought her so many amazing opportunities. The two of them were really close, and living in this amazing space was something that neither of them imagined.

Sophia loved her apartment and her room was her favorite place in the whole world

Sophia loved her apartment and her room was her favorite place in the whole world. Living with her best friend had its perks. She never felt that alone, she had someone to try new recipes with, and she had someone to split the chores with. Their apartment was pretty big, and while they had someone come and clean it once a week, they still had laundry and dishes to do on their own. They also had a third roommate, Apollo. He was a chocolate labradoodle puppy that Sophia had adopted pretty recently. Sophia carried Apollo in her arms as she walked down the stairs, where Marcia was watching her computer intently.

"Whatcha watching?" Sophia wondered, setting Apollo down and grabbing a bottle of water.

"I'm watching the vlog that David uploaded today."

"Oh my god, you're obsessed with him."

"If you watched them with me, you would be too Sophie." Marcia rolled her eyes as she shook her head.

"Fine, put it on." Sophia sighed, crashing down on the couch next to her. Apollo jumped up and settled onto her lap, cuddling against her stomach.

Marcie turned on the Apple TV and airplayed the video onto the larger screen in front of them. The vlogs weren't spectacular, but she couldn't stop watching. Eventually, she took the time to show Sophia the different members of the Vlog Squad. They ended up sitting on the couch and watching their videos for hours, Sophia taking a particular liking to Zane and David's videos. She knew about Jason because she watched Trisha's mukbangs, but everyone else was new to her. Sophia opened up her Twitter app, following each of them and scrolling through their feeds. That's when she got the notification.

@daviddobrik is now following you.