Part 2: Confusion and Despair

(Kokichi's POV)

Of Course, I shouldn't have expected anything else. I was just a dirty little liar after all. I was used to being called a liar. But... this time was... different. It kind of... hurt? When Shuichi called me out for lying it stung. I mean I did lie so I suppose I deserved it. I sighed. "I really should get some sleep," I mumbled. After a while, I close my eyes and dream.

At first, all the dream it is a swirl of bright colors. Suddenly I'm lying next to Shuichi on the roof. He smiles at me and sits up. "Hey Kokichi, your finally awake."

"No," I crinkle my face in confusion. "I'm sleeping."

He looks at me disapprovingly. "Kokichi, you promised me."

"What promise?" I am very confused. I have never made any promises to Shuichi.

He looks at me and sighs. He looks disappointed. I have no idea what I had done wrong but I feel bad, I don't want Shuichi looking at me with that sad, disappointed, look on his face.

I wake up to the morning announcement and head to the dining hall to eat. I notice that Shuichi isn't there and start to worry. What if he was killed? Why would I even care any way...?

I'm relieved when a couple of minutes later he walks in with Kaede. I don't really like Kaede, she's too optimistic, it almost makes me want to gag. I suddenly realize that nobody was killed and everybody is still alive today.

Monokuma presents a new motive. "I call it the First Blood Perk! Basically, you can murder someone and we won't even hold a class trial! Think of it as a free kill!" The motive certainly piqued my interest, but I don't think I will act on it.

I finish my breakfast that Kirumi made and am ready to explore the rest of the place when I see Shuichi whispering to Kaede. I try to listen unsuccessfully but follow them as they leave. I follow close behind but hidden. They enter the library before Kaede speaks.

"So what exactly did you want to show me.?" she asks curiously.

I have to strain to listen to Shuichi's quiet voice. "Well, I noticed this bookcase doesn't have any books on top of it so I thought I'd check it out and found this." Shuichi moves the bookcase to reveal a door that appears to have a slot for a key card.

Kaede smiles. "Wow Shuichi, great detective work!" she smiles and looks at the slot. "Oh, there's a slot for what looks like a key card!" she points it out. "What do you think all this means?"

"I think that perhaps there is a mastermind among us that using this door as a means of getting around."

"You're so smart!" she smiles. "I'm glad you decided to trust me with this, but how do you know I'm not the mastermind?"

"I just couldn't see you doing something like this," Shuichi says. She puts her hand on his shoulder. I get angry at this yet I'm not sure why.

"I was thinking that we could put dust in the card slot so we would know if it had been used. I don't think the mastermind would notice a little dust."

"That's a great idea Shuichi!" she says. "You're so smart, I could have never thought of any of this."

"It's not really a big deal, Kaede. I mean I just happened to stumble upon it and I had an idea, I'm sure anyone else could have done the same..."

"No Shuichi this was all you, you really need to give yourself more credit." she gives him an honest smile, and for once, I agree with her.

He pulls his hat down to conceal his eyes. "..."

"Well, what should we do now?" She asks.

"I was thinking we could set up cameras to get a picture of the mastermind somehow. Perhaps they could be motion activated." he put his hand over his mouth and thinks.

"Oh, I saw some in the warehouse, maybe we could somehow modify them? But who...?" That's... actually not a bad idea.

"Hmm, maybe Miu could?" he looks at Kaede.

"Aha! Let's go ask her!" Kaede says optimistically.

Shuichi words got me thinking. Was there a mastermind? Probably. Who would it be though? I couldn't possibly imagine Shuichi being the mastermind, his confidence is a way to low. Unless it's an act? No, I would be able to tell. Kaede seems way too optimistic. She could be hiding something. Somehow I can't see her being the mastermind either, but perhaps she's hiding something under all that optimism and talk of teamwork.

I lie on my bed thinking for a while. Eventually, I get bored. I decide to go to Shuichi's room and surprise him for when he comes back. I make my way inside and explore his room. I didn't get much chance yesterday. It looks nearly identical to mine except for the color scheme. I peek inside his closet and find rows of his uniform. I notice one of his hats and decide to have some fun. I take it and put it in my head. I mimic poses and emotions I've seen Shuichi make.

I almost forget Shuichi is coming back when he opens the door and sees me wearing his hat in a thinking pose on his bed. I blush but try to hide it. "Hello, Shuichi! What are you doing here?"

He's blushing as well. "Um, this is my room. What are you doing here, and why are you wearing my hat?"

"Relax, I just came here to talk again since we really didn't get to talk at all last night."

"That doesn't excuse the fact that one, you're in my room, uninvited, and two, you're wearing my hat!"

"Yeesh, I didn't think you'd overreact so much." I take his hat and fling it in his closet. "Aaaanyways, continuing from our previous conversation, why do you wear that hat? And don't lie this time."

He's silent for a moment. At first, I don't think he's gonna answer then he speaks. "I had solved a murder case and the guy who had been the murderer was being thrown in the police car. But I saw his look of pure hatred in his eyes as he stared at me. I hated that look. I didn't want to see that look ever again. So, I wear this hat. That way, I don't have to look people in the eye."

I was shocked. I didn't know his reason was as deep as that. But what shocked me, even more, was that he had decided to tell me. I gave him a sympathetic look, "Shuichi-"

He cut me off. "It doesn't matter anyway."