Part 7: Please Explain

(Shuichi's POV)

I'm flipping through the photos when I see something that shocks me. What the hell? I drop the photos in surprise. I scuffle to pick them up. Kokichi walks up to me smiling. "Whats the matter Shuichi?"

"K-Kokichi! You're in the photos!" I say surprised. His smile somehow gets wider.

"Ooo, lemme see!" He grabs the photos of himself and looks through them. "Hmm, the lighting is terrible and their not my best angle, but this ones alright."

   He shows me one of him smiling holding a bottle of grape panta

He shows me one of him smiling holding a bottle of grape panta. "Kokichi, what the hell? Please explain." I ask desperately.

He sighs. "Sorry, you're right. This one isn't my best angle either."

"Kokichi, quit playing around and tell me why you're in this photo." I demand.

"I dunno, you're the detective. Figure it out." He turns around to walk away but I grab the back of his scarf to stop him. He stops surprised. "Why do you care anyway, its unimportant evidence." He crosses his arms.

"Because it's evidence that points to you being the killer and I want to clear your name." I tell him.

"Wow, you must be desperate to prove I'm not the killer." He smiles. "I got what I wanted."

"What?" I ask confused.

"You know what, I'll tell you why I'm in the photos if you can find a way to clear my name. Well you should probably inform the others of you and Kaede's plan, it's key evidence in the case."

"You know about that?" My eyes widen in surprise.

"Well DUH, haven't I hinted enough already? Seriously Iv'e hinted like, four times! Ya know, for a detective you can be pretty oblivious sometimes." He sighs then mumbles something under his breath.

"What was that last part?"

He stands on his tip-toes to pat me lightly on the head. "Some things are better left unexplained. Besides, it was nothing important." What could Kokichi possibly be thinking? He lightly smacks me on the cheek.

"Hey! What was that for?"

"Less analyzing, more living in the moment!" he pouts.

I sighs. "You should get to investigating."

"Nah, I told you, I already know who killed Rantaro."

"You know, I'm not gonna believe you unless you tell me who you think killed Rantaro." I says annoyed.

He turns away from me. "You wouldn't believe me anyway."

"Try me,"

He turns and leans in towards me. "You sure you want to believe a liar like me?" His face is dark and serious. His eyes are wide and he keeps getting closer.

"I don't care, I want to hear what you have to say." My statement makes him back away shocked. Of all the things he expected me to say, that was not one of them.

He puts his joking face back on. "Fine, but you asked for it. I think the culprit is... Kaede!"

I shake his head. "Be serious Kokichi."

"Hmm? You didn't like that answer? Fine, I'll tell you my real suspect. I think... Tsumugi!"

"Tsumugi? Why do you suspect her?" I says confused.

"I don't know why do I suspect her? I may never tell you... But that's part of the bargain if you ask a liar like me a serious question." He explains.

"Why do you keep referring to yourself as a liar?" I ask him.

"Isn't that what everyone else calls me? If someone calls you something long enough it sticks, doesn't it? That's why you're the Ultimate Detective and I'm the Ultimate Supreme Leader." Is that what Kokichi thinks? Does he think that because everyone calls him a liar that he has to live up to their expectations?

(Kokichi's POV)

I can't tell what Shuichi is thinking. I should say something that will distract him. "Hey wanna have an imaginary showdown?" Shuichi gives me a weird look. "Using finger guns of course." Shuichi turns his head to the side. "Or we can use water guns that would be fun too-"

"Kokichi I need to investigate. I don't have time for th-"

"WAH! SHUICHI REJECTED ME!" Fake tears shoot out of my eyes.

"We can have a water fight later, but I need to investigate." Shuichi says.

"You mean that?"

"Yes, after the trial we can have a water gun fight." he smiles and sighs. "You kind of act a little childish sometimes, you know?"

I ignore him. "Yay! Now I have a real reason to survive the trial!" A date with Shuichi is certainly a reason to survive.

"It's just a water gun fight, why are you so excited?"

"Shut up, I'm happy, don't ruin the moment!" I smile.

'"Um where did everybody go?" Shuichi looked around at the empty library.

"I dunno, probably already finished investigating in here and went to check elsewhere."

Shuichi thinks to himself for a few moments. "Ah! You distracted me. You never explained why you were in the pictures."

"I told you, I'll explain if you can clear my name."

"Well as a detective, it's my job to interrogate you. I can't clear your name if I don't have any information can I?"

"Very well, a valid point I suppose. Well the reason why I'm in the photos is because I wanted confirmation."

"Confirmation?" Shuichi is still clearly lost.

"Well I'm not gonna tell you everything at once, I'll elaborate more once you clear my name." I explain.

"Did you kill Rantaro?" Shuichi asks.

"Well the obvious thing to say would be 'no' but you wouldn't be able to guess whether I'm telling the truth or not." I can see Shuichi trying to make sense of what I'm saying. "You should go investigate someone besides me, you've been investigating me for a while and there not much more time."

"What are you going to do?" he asks.

"Me? I'm going to my room to take a nap." I state.

"You know the things you say are very hard to understand." Shuichi says.

"Whatever, see you at the class trial."

Shuichi walks over to Rantaro.

"Oh and Shuichi?"

"What?" he looks up from Rantaro.

"You should be more confident in your abilities as the Ultimate Detective, y'know." I suggest. Shuichi remains silent so I leave.

I walk to my room and take a nap. I sleep for a short while and when I wake up. It appears I woke up just in time because everybody seems to be going to the same place. I join the group. I already know who the killer is but as we step into the elevator going to the trial grounds my heart beats at what feels like a hundred miles an hour. I look across at Shuichi in front of me who also looks nervous. Seeing Shuichi fills me with new strength and I know I'm ready for the class trial.