Part 8: Clear His Name

(Shuichi's POV)

   I walk into the trial grounds and Monokuma explains the rules. I get behind my podium and we begin the class trial. I look at Kokichi to see him also looking at me. Everyone is silent. Nobody knows how to start the class trial.

   "Well I think we should start with those photos you and Kaede took." Miu suggests. "Since Kokichi is in them, I think it's obvious that he's the killer."

   "Let's not jump to any conclusions, we still haven't discussed all the evidence." I say.

   "Well, Kokichi is in some of the photos taken by the cameras. You don't need to be a genius like me to realize that that's pretty suspicious. I say we vote for Kokichi and get this over with, who else agrees?" Miu asks. There's a murmur of agreement from everyone.

   "Still, we need to be careful, all our lives are on the line." I point out.

   "Well if your so sure it's not Kokichi then where your evidence?" Miu says.

   "I think it's Kokichi! Only a degenerate male could commit such a crime. Plus, he's the main suspect and he still hasn't said anything." Tenko says.

   "I don't have anything to say." Kokichi shrugs. "Unless your expecting me to say something like 'I'm not the killer!' without any evidence. I don't know how to prove it's not me so I'll let my lawyer do all the talking." He gestures towards me.

   "I'm not your lawyer Kokichi." I sigh.

   "That's not fair, letting someone talk for you. It's just like a degenerate male. He's just doing that because he's the culprit." Tenko rolls her eyes.

   I know Kokichi isn't the culprit, I just have to find a way to prove to everyone else that Kokichi's not he culprit. I think back to the photo trying to remember if there was anything in the photo proving Kokichi's innocence. Kokichi was standing there smiling holding his bottle of Grape Panta. The background was mostly tidy except for a pile of books on the floor- "Kokichi can't be the culprit!" I say with confidence.

   "Oh, did you figure it out Shuichi? The reason why I can't be the culprit?" Kokichi smiles

   "In the background of the photo there was a pile of books. So Kokichi can't have been the culprit, or at least the photo wasn't taken around the same time of Rantaro's death."

   "How exactly does that prove that Kokichi can't be the  culprit?" Himiko asks confused

   "The photos with Kokichi were actually the first photos to be taken. Kaede  and I went back and cleaned the library after the cameras had been put up. Which meant that if these photos were taken at the time Rantaro was killed there should have been no piles of books in the photos. I actually think I know exactly when he went to the library." 

   It all makes sense now. The day Kokichi and I watched the sun set together must have been the day he went to the library. Kokichi had said and done everything I needed to prove his innocence. He had hinted that his Panta stash was in the library. I remember Kokichi had gone back to retrieve his almost empty bottle of Panta but had come back with a full bottle. He had told me that when he was getting his Panta that he had took a little detour which must have the moment that Kokichi had entered the library to appear in the photos. The only thing that didn't make sense was why Kokichi had gone out of his way to plant misleading evidence pointing to him being the culprit. That, I did not yet have an answer for.

   "That's right! Shuichi and I cleaned the library so that nobody would accidentally trip over the piles of books and not be in the shot." Kaede smiled.

   "Yeah, it's too bad your plan didn't work out too well Kaede." Kokichi says.

   "Huh?" Kaede says for some reason alarmed.

   "You know, the one with Shuichi. The only plan you had." Kokichi stares at Kaede smiling.

   "Uh, yeah." Kaede says. 

   "We still haven't figured out much." I sigh.

   "I think it's Tsumugi." Kokichi says loudly.

   "What? Why?" Tsumugi says confused.

   "Just kidding, I actually think it's Gonta."" Kokichi says.   

   "Stop lying Kokichi. Your just saying unlikely people to confuse us." Kaito scowls.

   "Gonta no kill Rantaro, cuz that not gentlemanly thing to do." Gonta says.

   We went on a while talking about our alibis and figuring out different aspects of the case. After a while we were back to the start, still not knowing who it was. I saw a possibility but I knew it was unlikely.

   "Nyeh, now we're back at square one." Himiko sighs.

   "Well we know more than we did to begin with." Kaede says, optimistic as always. I remember setting up the cameras with her and waiting in the classroom. Kaede wouldn't have any reason to kill Rantaro but... 

   Kaede could have done it. The thought scares me but everything I know points to her. Would it really be right to suspect her? To suspect my friend?

   "Shuichi looks like he's figured something out." Kokichi smirks.

   "Uh, no I'm just thinking..." I know Kokichi can tell I'm lying but I just fidget with my hat.

   "If you've figured something out you should tell everyone Shuichi. Don't be afraid to say anything." Kaede says. 

   "Kaede did- did you do it?" I ask skeptical. 

   "Yes, I did." Kaede smiles sadly. I can tell shes being genuine.

   "What? Why Kaede do such a thing?" Gonta asks shocked.

   "Haha, just kidding, Shuichi was just trying to lighten the mood. Do you think someone like me could actually kill Rantaro?" Shes lying. I don't have to have Kokichi's knowledge to know that.

   "No, Kaede definitely killed Rantaro." I say.

   "Now why would I do something like that?" Kaede asks faking confusion.

   "Ooo, this is the part where the detective solves the case!" Kokichi's eyes gleam with excitement. The comment is silly considering the situation but it gives me more determination to solve the case. I look into Kaede's eyes ready to summarize the situation.