Part 26: ...or Remnant?

(Wow, Look. An actual part.)

  (Shuichi's POV)

   I sigh. I obviously didn't get anything from that. I walk to the dining room and see everyone huddled over a flashback light.

   "Ah! Shuichi! We were just about to get you." Tsumugi says.

   "You found a flashback light?" I ask.

   Kiibo nods. "Yes, and now that you're here, we can use it."

   We turn on the flashback light and remember our forgotten memories. Memories flash before my eyes. The memories where Kokichi is a remnant of despair working with Junko to throw the world into despair. When we're done receiving those memories we stand there shocked. All this time, Kokichi's goal was to spread despair at any cost? Kokichi, the boy that I've fallen in love with, just wanted to hurt me and everybody else this whole time? He had been lieing to us this whole time? My eyes water, threatening to overflow with tears. All that time that we spent was a lie? The whole time, Kokichi never actually cared about me? The tears overflow and run down my cheeks.

   Everybody is still shocked. Finally, Maki breaks the silence. "He needs to be stopped."

   "How?" Kiibo asks.

   "We'll kill him."

   "No!" I yell.

   Maki sighs. "Shuichi..."

   "I-I mean I could talk to him."

   "No Shuichi, talking won't get us anywhere." She says.

   "But we can't kill him..."

   "Shuichi, I know you don't want to see Kokichi die but you need to understand that he's not the person you thought he was."

   I stay silent knowing that she's right. We all head back to our rooms in silence. As I lay in my bed I realize that I'm more exausted than I thought. The events of the day we're really tiring. I fall asleep. By the time I wake up it's dark out, probably late in the night. Everybody's probably asleep right now. I wonder what Kokichi's doing... I know I'm not supposed to but I run over to the exisal hangar to talk to Kokichi.

   "Kokichi?" I yell out to him to get no reply. "Kokichi?" I go to the window.

   "Shuichi?" Kokichi seems panicked and shocked. "What are you doing here?"

   "I just wanted to talk."

   "Okay I'm a little busy but we could talk for a minute. But I don't have much time so please keep it short."

   "I just wanted to say..." Here it is. My chance to confront him about being a remnant of despair. "...that I love you."

   Kokichi looks like he's about to cry. "I... love you too."

   "And I want you to promise me something."

   "Yes?"

   "Promise me that... you'll stay alive, no matter what."

   "I... I promise..."

   "I... suppose your busy."

   "Yeah..." He looks down. I turn to walk away. "Wait Shuichi!" I turn around again. "Can I have one last kiss before I go?"

   "You mean before I go?" I ask.

   "Yeah..."

   "Okay." I lean in and kiss Kokichi.

   "Shuichi, I want you to know that I love you with all my heart." Kokichi starts sobbing unexpectedly.

   "I love you too Kokichi, but are you okay?"

   "Yeah, go, I'll be fine."

   (Kokichi's POV)

   "Yeah, go, I'll be fine." Those would be the last words I'd say to Shuichi. Not to mention that I'd be breaking the last promise I made to him too.

   "He's gone, you can come out and resume the plan, Kaito."

   (Shuichi's POV)

   I can't believe I didn't confront him. I'm an idiot. I pause. Maybe it's because I know deep down that I wouldn't have cared anyway, It wouldn't change the fact that I love him. Even if he had been decieving me I still wouldn't be able to bare watching him die.

   I lay on my bed and wait for morning time.

   (Sorry this part is a little short, but a lot of shit's gonna go down in the next part so I saved it for later.)