Part 19: Seances and Evil Floorboards

(Kokichi's POV)

   I awake the next morning in Shuichi's arms glad that I didn't have any nightmares. I wouldn't mind waking up like this every day, wrapped in Shuichi's warm arms. It's always interesting watching people sleep, it's almost like seeing them in their most neutral state. I poke Shuichi's face and am surprised when he smiles in his sleep. "I'm so happy to have you in my life, y'know. When I'm with you, all the bad stuff goes away, all the abuse, the humiliation, the fear, it's all gone. Is it selfish of me to want to hold onto you forever and never let go?" Shuichi stirs slightly so I stop talking. 

   A few minutes later, Shuichi wakes up. "What do you want to do today?"

   "Well let's start by getting breakfast." 

   "Okay." He agrees as we head off to breakfast. On the way, Maki approaches us.

   "I need to talk to you." She says to Shuichi. She looks at me and glares. "Preferably alone."

   "Why, are you gonna seduce him?" I joke.

   "Do you wanna die?" Maki asks me.

   "Yes." I laugh as if it were a joke. "Fine. I'll see you at breakfast Shuichi!" I round the corner but stop to eavesdrop. 

   "How come you haven't been at training?" Maki asks him.

   "Oh, I forgot about that. Sorry." Shuichi says.

   "You haven't- You haven't been doing that with the gremlin, have you?" Maki asks.

   "No! It's nothing like that! We just sleep together!" Shuichi yells clearly embarrassed. "I-I mean sleeping in the same bed, not- not the other thing."

   "Sure. Just, try not to forget to come to training. Kaito has been staying in his room lately, I don't know why. Just come to training tonight, okay?"

   "Okay." Shuichi agrees. I hear footsteps so I quickly run off to breakfast. Shuichi sits down next to me and we eat together. 

   "This is kind of boring," I say.

   "What do you mean?" He asks.

   "Eating food. It's boring, but we do it every day."

   "Because it literally keeps us alive." Shuichi points out.

   "Yes, but wouldn't you agree this piece of toast would look better on Miu's face?"

   "Wha-"

   I take a piece of toast and fling it at Miu. It lands on her cheek. "What the fuck! I'm gonna get you for this!" She chases me around the room trying to hit me. I crawl under the table near Shuichi's feet to get away from her.

   "Hello there." I smile at Shuichi from under the table. Miu tries to hit me but keeps missing. 

   "Miu, give it up, it was just a piece of toast," Shuichi says.

   "Just a piece of toast? He insulted me." She pouts but sits down anyway.

   I get out from under the table and sit back down in my seat. "See now, wasn't that funner than actually eating the piece of toast?"

   "I guess," Shuichi laughs.

   The rest of the day passes until it's nighttime. "Hey I have to-" Shuichi starts to say.

   "Go to training, right?" 

   "Yeah, how did you-"

   "I totally eavesdropped," I explain.