Part 29: The Rules.

(Kokichi's POV)

I stare at Shuichi horrified. I gawk at him with wide eyes. This isn't- It can't be- It's just some horrible nightmare... I think back to when Shuichi comforted me after waking up from a nightmare just like this one. Only he won't be there to comfort me this time.

"Ko- kichi..." I can barely hear him. I don't think about the pain as I stand up from the throne. Shakily I walk to him and hold his face in my hands. "I... love you... Goodbye."

"Sh-Shut up! Don't you dare say something like that! Your gonna be okay! You have to!" I yell at him desperately.

He smiles at me sadly then closes his eyes. He falls to the floor, the pole still through him. My hands shake where Shuichi's face was just a few seconds ago. "This wasn't supposed to happen... THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO FUCKING HAPPEN!" I yell to nobody. "Shuichi... you godamm idiot..." I fall to my knees and stare at Shuichi. I feel faint from the blood loss. "I love you too..." With that I faint.

Somebody sighs. "Well this is certainly an inconvenience." I open my eyes slowly and see Monokuma at the foot of my bed. A rythmic beeping sounds throughout white room. I look down and see that I'm wearing a blue gown of some sort. "Guess the execution failed, that certainly hasn't happened before." Memories flood into my head of the recent events.

I stare at Monokuma. "You..." I lunge at him with rage but he dodges me.

"Hey, hey, hey, are you sure you want to risk that? You just survived your execution and you're risking your life again? Do you really wanna die?" He says.

I get back into bed and look down at my clenched fists. Tears spill onto them. "Yes."I say quietly. Monokuma looks at me surprised. I look up at him and speak louder. "Yes. Yes, I wanna die. Shuichi's gone and everything else is shit! I don't have any reason left to go on."

Monokuma is silent for a few minutes before laughing. "Puhuhu, that's perfect, such despair! Look at those empty eyes, now that's what I like to see! Well whatever the case you should come with me."

"Why? I don't have any reason to..."

"Oh but you do! You'll regret staying. And that's a promise."

"Fine." I hop out of the bed and walk with Monokuma to wherever hes taking me. We arrive at a door.

"I'll just wait here." he tells me. I knock on the door in case someone is in there.

"Come in." A voice answers. I open the door and step in closing it behind me. There's a curtain blocking off a bed on the other side of the room. Is this... No, it can't be... It's... I pull back the curtain. ...Shuichi. I stand there wide eyed. He's... okay?

"Kokichi!" Shuichi lunges at me and raps his arms around my neck.

"I..." Words fail me as tears of happiness stream down my face. My voice shakes as I speak. "I thought you were dead." I hug him back. Finally we let go of each other. "How could you go and almost get yourself killed?"

"I could ask you the same thing." He says as he wipes a tear from his eye.

"Well all that matters right now is that your alive."

"What was the execution like? I hope it wasn't to painful, I'm just glad I could have saved you."

"The execution was painful but it
was nowhere near as painful as seeing you do that thing."

"Yeah... Monokuma showed me footage..." His voice trails off.

"So what's going on anyway? This is all very confusing."

"Monokuma barely told me anything, he just showed me the footage and said this is some sort of hospital. Ever since he told me you were okay and in the other room I've been begging him to get you."

"I'm just..." I wrap my arms around his neck and rest my head on top of his. "You don't know how happy I am to see you alive."

"Yeah..." Silence fills the room as we stay like that for a while. Clearly there are still unanswered questions, but in the moment they don't matter.

"Puhuhu, sorry to interrupt but now that you two are okay you need to get back, the others are waiting."

Shuichi and I pull apart and follow monokuma. Apparently we had been in a small hospital underneath the school that had been kept there for emergencies. It's sometime in the middle of the night when we get back. First we go to our rooms and change back into our normal clothes, then we rejoin the group who is waiting with questions, most that we ourselves don't know. Maki is silent the whole time. The group, tired, eventually leaves and goes back to their rooms. Shuichi tells me he'll be In his room. Before Maki leaves I grab her arm.

"Hey..."

She glares at me. "What do you want."

"I'm umm really sorry..." I say quietly. "I know what it feels like to lose someone you love, or at least think you did anyway... And I'm really sorry..."

"'Sorry'? You're 'sorry' you killed Kaito? Shut up! I should have never given you a chance. I should have followed my gut and killed you when I had the chance." She violently tugs her wrist away. "I loved him and you took him from me!" Tears fall from her face. "'Sorry' doesn't make up for what you did to me, to what you did to him. You're probably not even sorry, why would I ever believe a liar like you?" She turns back and starts walking.

"You think I wanted to kill Kaito?" I wipe my eyes. "Kaito was my friend, even if I never told him, and I didn't want to kill him!"

"Then why did you?" Maki asks. I stay silent. "Exactly." She walks away.

I walk to Shuichi's room. When he sees me crying he asks what's wrong.

"It's been a long day and I just want to go to sleep." It's difficult finding a comfortable sleeping position with our injuries but we somehow manage.

"Well this was troublesome..." The blue haired girl said. "How am I going to settle this? Maybe a special trial? Yes! That'll work, I'll announce it in the morning..."

STORY END.