Ch.10 Not in my wildest dream

Lyons says, "You have to marry her. The scandal would be huge one. She could never marry anyone else."

Bern is only silent. He stares to Dallas Jackson. The man stares him back with murderous intent.

Lyons warns, "Dallas..."

Dallas looks another way.

All he wants right now is to murder this man in front of him. Duke or not.

Finally Dallas says, "Marry her. Or I'll break your skinny neck. She has lived under your roof for days. In public eyes, she's already a tainted woman. Even if you never touched her."

Bern closes his eyes.

Marrying Sophia. He never dreamed about it. A mute man like him.

Lyons asks, "Well? Are you going to marry her or not?"

The Duke writes on a paper, explaining about his situation.

His hand writings almost look like scribbles. Lyons takes half an hour to read the short memo.

"Someone tried to kill me few times. Sophia would be a young widow if she married me..."

Lyons asks, "Who?"

Bern writes, "No idea."

Dallas is silent. This is the reason why Bern is training so hard in his gym. To save his own life. He has seen the scars on Bern's body. Old and new scars.

Dallas stares to Lyons and then he nods.

Lyons says, "Dallas and I would take down the culprit, Your Grace. Then you shall marry Sophia."

(Sophia. I want her...)

Bern finally nods.

Lyons asks, "Who's your solicitor, Your Grace?"

Bern writes the name of his solicitor in his name card. Lyons would need it if he's going to ask something from him.

Lyons says, "Wait for my good news, Your Grace."

Dallas asks, "What would you do, Lyons?"

"Follow the money. Anyone who got benefits from the Duke's death would be the possible suspects."

Bern is silent.

(That would be my uncle and a long distant cousin. Very short suspect list. But maybe this man would learn something else. Something new).

Bern doesn't escort them out of his house. He is too busy thinking.

*****

"Sophia? Sophia? Are you even listening to me?" asks Tess.

"Huh? Sorry..."

"You kept daydreaming all day long after you got back. What's wrong?"

"Nothing..."

(I miss him. My Duke. I know it's wrong to think him as mine. But I really miss him. Gosh! Am I a slut?)

Sophia shakes her head. She got too many spare times. Idle hands.

(I know he's a rich Duke. I know he probably got so many clothing already).

Still it doesn't stop her from making a green scarf for him.

Tess asks, "Are you making a scarf?"

Sophia nods.

A scarf is easier. Bern is a bulky man. She doesn't know his body size very well. That's why it's impossible to knit a sweater for him.

Tess asks, "Don't you think you should add this pink ones? It would be more colorful."