13. An Island of Their Own

• • •

Everyone was in the Great Hall celebrating the finishing of Berk's recreation with a huge feast. Festive music was being played, and Vikings conversed joyously over their food. Aria watched the events take place with Hiccup and Valka by the Chief's seat at the back end of the Hall.

"I can't believe it's finally done," Hiccup spoke with satisfaction, "and in only five months."

"You did good, my son," Valka complimented, then turned to Aria, "and you, too, my daughter."

Just then, Eret came up to the trio. Aria felt Hiccup nudge her discreetly with his elbow. She turned to see him glancing down at her with a sly grin, and her cheeks blushed.

"Well, I must say," Eret began with a grin as he reached the three, "you really know how to throw a celebration."

Hiccup chuckled in response, "I take it you're enjoying yourself."

"Definitely," Eret replied, before his eyes moved to Aria, "but not nearly as much as I could be." At this, she felt her entire face grew red. Valka gave her daughter a pleased look of surprise. "Permission to borrow this fine young lady for the evening?" Eret asked dramatically.

Answering with just as much exaggeration, Hiccup mused, "permission granted."

Aria looked from her brother to her mother nervously, but they gave her encouraging looks. So pushing back her embarrassment, Aria let her heart take control. She stepped down from the low platform to meet Eret. He took her by the hand, and they left the Great Hall together.

Once outside, Eret began to run through the village, pulling Aria after him. "Eret, where are we going?" She asked through her laughter.

"Somewhere secret," he told her, not slowing down a bit. Finally, they reached the edge of Berk where Skullcrusher and Midnight stood together. Adrenaline pumping through her body, Aria climbed onto her dragon and took off after Eret and Skullcrusher.

The twins, who were outside on patrol, saw them leaving. "..Where are they going?" Ruff wondered aloud as she and her brother watched the two fly off.

Tuffnut shrugged suggestively, "well, we could find out."

But before the twins could find their dragon to follow Aria and Eret, Astrid came up behind them. "Don't even think about it," she warned them. As the two siblings sulked away, Astrid watched her friends in love fade into the horizen with a smile on her face.

• • •

Skullcrusher and Midnight played in the sky as Eret and Aria flew them to their destination. The sun was setting by the time they reached a familiar island. Upon landing on the beaches, Aria asked, "is this the island where you almost bled out?"

Eret grinned and hopped off of Skullcrusher and corrected slyly, "it's the island where you saved my life."

Aria rolled her eyes and slid down from Midnight's neck. "What are we doing here?" She wondered.

Eret spread his arms wide to gesture the entire island and responded, "anything." He then went on, "no need to hide, no one to interrupt; I figured it's the perfect date spot."

After thinking for a moment, Aria had to admit that he was right. "Alright," she approved with an amused smile, wrapping her hands around his bicep, "define, 'anything.'"

"Well, I'm glad you asked," Eret began confidently as he started walking into the forest, Aria still on his arm, "I spotted something here from ontop of Skullcrusher, back when I was wounded. I'm not sure if it's still there, but I have a hunch."

When he didn't explain further, Aria grinned knowingly. "Let me guess," she sighed, "it's a surprise?"

"Right you are, my love," Eret's smooth tone gave Aria goosebumps. Everything was always a surprise with him, and she absolutely loved it. So the two walked and talked until finally reaching the bottom of the volcano.

"Hm, volcano diving," Aria joked, "not exactly what I had in mind."

Eret chuckled and shook his head. "As tempting as that may sound, no." He pointed to a wide pool at the base of the mountain and offered, "how about a swim?"

With a gasp, Aria smiled wide. The pool was a crater of black volcanic rock, filled by rain water, she assumed. Excitedly, she let go of Eret and raced over to the water. Kneeling on the ground, she dipped her hand into the it and exclaimed, "it's so warm."

Eret had finally caught up to her and explained, "if I had to guess, I'd say the volcano keeps the temperature."

"It's perfect," Aria exclaimed, standing back up to hug Eret. When she pulled away, he took off his fur vest and undershirt, draping them over a black boulder.

Suddenly feeling self conscious, Aria blushed and turned away. "Aria," she heard Eret coo gently from behind her. One of his large hands covered her shoulder, and she hesitantly turned to meet his gaze. It was warm and loving as he went on, "it's just me." His sweet smiled made her heart pound, and her worries faded away. Aria reminded herself that this was the man she loved; this was the man who loved her. So she grinned and decided to let her insecurity go.