Chapter 61, Kate

One-way hallway. Security cameras. Alarms.

Exactly as I'd planned.

There was no chance of Xander and me simply walking out of our cell and into the base. Dick wasn't that incompetent.

I needed allies and weapons and I needed them fast.

So I called some in the form of an explosion.

Xander had the audacity to look surprised.

Ten guards led by a man in his mid-thirties full-on sprinted into the room as the alarms blared. One of the men I knew from his file, Charles Friar. Gold's second in command.

"Devil if you get back into your cell we can forget this whole thing ever happened." He said, pointing a gun at my face.

Xander was in a fighting stance but I stood tall and unbothered. Charlie's file said he has morals; I could use those if Xander helped.

"If by forget this whole thing ever happened you mean let someone torture me to death in half an hour then I'm good here," I said.

Gold's favorite interrogator was a doctor in his spare time and worked until noon on Mondays.

Charlie seemed uneasy at my comment. Xander glanced at me as if asking when the fight would start. I subtlety shook my head and he almost started to relax.

"I'm sorry but we need the information. If you tell us we'll let you go through." He said.

He actually seemed sorry.

Pathetic.

"And 25 million innocents will still die of your virus. Do you really want that much blood on your hands?" I said.

Xander caught on, finally.

The Gold Order guards shuffled uneasily, all looking at Charlie for what to do next. They really seemed to look up to him.

"Gold said only five hundred people would die. He wouldn't lie to me; I'm his second in command. He wouldn't."

"You can't have unwavering faith in this guy," Xander said. "You were there when my father left the Gold Order. Gold doesn't want to help, he wants to take power."

"And if only five hundred people are going to die, then why would Gold vaccinate the whole base?" I said, noticing the Band-Aid on each guard's arm.

Charlie lowered his gun. I smiled.

"This doesn't mean I'm helping you, Devil. But Xander, you're a good kid. Is it true?"

"She's right. And you shouldn't mistrust her, she's on our side." He said.

No I'm not, I'm on my side.

"In that case boys we're helping Xander and um..."

"Kate," Xander said like he had the right to tell people my real name.

"We're helping Kate and Xander then. Lana, can you get them their weapons? Caleb, I want you to go spread the word, we're stopping this." Charlie said.

The people he'd given orders to went to work with unquestioning loyalty. They almost seemed more loyal than my men and I decided I'd look into that later.

A minute later I had my bulletproof suit, my gun, and my mother's knife. I felt like me again, powerful.

Xander, clothed in a Legion bulletproof suit and carrying Legion weapons, stood tall and walked over to Charlie. As if he was in charge.

"So what's the plan Silver?" Charlie asked.

And then the idiot opened his mouth.

"I was thinking you could get us some guard uniforms, if we can get to the cure and smuggle a sample of the cure out then we can distribute it. Gold won't even have to know you helped."

Wrong.

"Actually," I cut in, "that's only part one. Dick can't be allowed to run this powerful of an organization if he's this power-hungry. We have to kill him, or at least kick him out.

"Charlie, if you can get enough people on your side we can lead a mutiny against Gold and put the Gold Order in decent hands."

Or I can kill you both and be done with this whole 'Gold Order Problem.

"Why are you helping us? Aren't you supposed to be evil?" Charlie asked.

"Just because my father runs the Legion doesn't mean we share the same interests. I want to make a better world, same as you." I said in my best sympathetic voice.

Charlie bought it.

Then he looked to Xander for confirmation and made my list. People just don't second guess me and live.

Then Xander nodded like an asshole.

Charlie got Xander and me Gold Order uniforms. We slipped them over our bulletproof gear and started for the virus room.

I was careful to keep my head down as we walked and soon we were there without being recognized.

The people of the Gold Order truly seemed to respect Charlie. But respect didn't mean loyalty. My men feared me and would do anything to avoid my wrath.

Then we got there and I saw the massive refrigerators along the walls, they were full of vials of virus cure.

But there was also blood on the floor. Two dead by my guess, stabbing by the look of the blood splatters. Broken glass on the floor, possible weapon.

"What happened?" Xander asked Charlie.

"One of the girls, Audrey, attacked and killed the virus maker. She died in the fight but she brought down a man twice her size when she went. She was a good kid, he must have done something horrible to deserve her anger."

"He left her to die in a hole." I said, "One of my girls got her out. Glad there's one less monster in the world."

Poor Audrey, she'd had so much potential. Sam would be devastated.

But I had to keep going.

The vials of cure along the wall.

I walked over, opened the case, and took out a single vile of pale purple liquid. I found a syringe in a cabinet and before anyone could say anything I gave myself the cure.

I was safe.

It was going to be okay.

Then my eyes landed on the vials of yellow liquid along the other wall. The virus. The one Dr. Taylor had wanted for his virus.

***

Hey guys! Will Charlie really help them kill Gold? How will Kate handle the 'Gold Order Problem'? Will Kate give the virus sample to Dr. Taylor? Please vote and comment, I want to know what you think!

-Jade