Rangers and Isles (Mat Barzal x Reader)

Your older brother had always been protective of you. It was just his thing. He was a big hockey player who felt the need to threaten every single one of your boyfriends, which got old very quickly, but he always found it amusing.

It got easier when (B/N) was drafted to the New York Rangers because it meant that he was spending the majority of his time in New York with the Rangers, and thus less time at home and away from where he could drive you crazy.

And, well, you and your family went to New York a lot to see him play and along the way you met Mat. You first ran into him at a coffee shop. There was nowhere else to sit and he asked if he could sit at your table, since you were alone at a table for two.

The two of you had been together ever since.

The Islanders played in Brooklyn or at the Coliseum and your brother played at MSG. They were so close to each other, so it was great for you. It was so easy to keep them both in your life without having to have a long distance relationship.

That being said, you didn't tell your family about Mat.

It wasn't that you didn't want to tell them, it was that you knew your brother would flip his shit. And he had made it very clear to you early on that you shouldn't get involved with hockey players. And the Islanders were the rivals of the Rangers.

You just knew it was a bad idea. So, you and Mat stayed a little secret, which ended up being for the better since I meant that two of you were free to figure out your relationship without any pressure from anyone.

But, you and Mat wouldn't stay a secret for as long as you would have liked.

The Rangers were playing the Islanders at Barclay's and you went to the morning skate to watch Mat. It was something you did a lot of. You were walking to Mat's car, tucked under his arm when you heard your name being called from a familiar voice. You froze in your tracks, your eyes going wide.

You turned around slowly and your fears were realized. Your brother was standing next to his car in the parking lot.

"(B/N), hey!" You said nervously. Mat's confusion melted to understand when you said your brother's name and he dropped his arm from your shoulders.

(B/N) walked towards the two of you and crossed his arms over his chest when he came to a stop. "What's going on here, (Y/N)?"

You swallowed and looked between Mat and (B/N). "He and I..."

Mat tilted his head back and put his arm around your waist. "We're dating." He told your brother.

Your brother's eyes momentarily went wide and he looked to you. "Really? An Islander?"

You looked to Mat before looking back at your brother and nodded. "Yeah."

He looked at the two of you before he stepped forwards and grabbed your arm, pulling you away from Mat. "I need to talk to you."

Mat immediately reached forwards, putting his hands on your brother's arm. "Let go of her."

You shook your head at Mat who sighed and let go.

"I'll see you at the game tonight, okay, babe?" You said to him and Mat nodded and watched as your brother pulled you down the parking lot towards the arena.

--

"Are you going to say something?" You asked your brother, who hadn't said anything since he pulled you away from Mat.

He sighed and finished taping his stick and put it down before looking at you. "Just tell me why."

You tightened your lips. "Mat is a nice guy. He's really great and I really like him. I'm happy, doesn't that mean anything to you?"

Your brother sighed again. "Hockey players are mean, and they're away for long periods of time. I know guys who cheat on their girlfriends when they're on the road, okay? There's a reason why I told you not to date hockey players."

"You're a hockey player and you're a great guy." You pointed out.

He gave you a look. "He's an Islander."

You wrinkled your nose and nodded. "Yeah, you got me there."

That caused your brother to laugh and he came to sit down next to you. "I just don't want to see you getting hurt. You're my little sister and I want to protect you."

You patted him on the knee. "I know what I'm doing. I really like him." You said softly.

He sighed and nodded. "Okay. I trust you. But, I'm going to hand his ass to him tonight and that's a promise."

You shook your head with a light laugh. "Be nice, I don't want you to ruin his face."

Your brother laughed and brought his hand up to rub your back. "He's getting served tonight. And I better be seeing you in my jersey and not his."

"You're promising to beat my boyfriend tonight and you want me to wear your jersey?" You raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yes." He deadpanned.

You shook your head. "You're an idiot."