TWENTY-FIVE: Sidekick pt. 2

"In order to rise from its own ashes, a Phoenix

first must burn."

Alyssa walked out of the black car quickly following after the two red-heads. She wore a new purple dress that was adorned with black flowers.

"Why do we have to go see Mr. Loud." Alyssa groaned.

"He's boring and whatever he made is gonna be lame and malfunction."

She stomped into the auditorium and Pepper gave the girl a questionable look.

"Liz please, let's just do this real quick and then we can do whatever you want for the rest of the night, okay?" Pepper asked.

The girl nodded and begrudgingly plopped down into the chair.  The announcer greeted everybody and Alyssa rolled her eyes as Hammer danced in. Music started playing and he made himself look like an idiot.

Jeez, somebody kill me now.

Alyssa sighed and put her head towards her knuckles. Hammer laughed as people started clapping.

"Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for coming. Ladies and gentlemen, for far too long, this country has had to place its brave men and women in harm's way, but then the Iron Man arrived, and we thought the days of losing lives were behind us. Sadly, that technology was kept out of reach. That's not fair. That's not right. And it's just too bad." Hammer pouted.

Alyssa groaned and rolled her eyes.

This guy is spouting crap.

"Oh, gosh." Pepper sighed.

"Same." Alyssa agreed.

"Regardless, it was an impressive innovation, one that grabbed the headlines the world over. Well, today, my friends, the press is faced with quite a difficult problem. They are about to run out of ink."

With you, not likely.

Nobody laughed at his stupid joke.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today I present to you the new face of the United States military. The Hammer drone."

Alyssa's eyes widened. He had done it. He had made something worth while. But still, likely to fail. The celebration was momentary though because before she knew it, she was face to face with what kind of looks like her father's suit but not.

"Army! Navy! Air Force! Marines! Yeah! Yeah! Woo!" Alyssa rolled her eyes.

They came up out of the ground when he called for them to. Alyssa thought they were the ugliest things she's ever seen.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

"That's a heck of a lot better than some cheerleaders, let me tell you."

Kind of agree with you there.

The three women exchanged annoyed looks.

"But as revolutionary as this technology is, there will always be a need for man to be present in the theatre of war Ladies and gentlemen, today I am proud to present to you the very first prototype in the Variable Threat Response Battle Suit and its pilot, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes."

Alyssa's heart dropped. Rhodes bread dough was helping him. Angry tears flowed into the girl's eyes.

"What?" Alyssa gasped.

"For America and its allies, Hammer Industries is reporting for-"

Then it all was ruined.

A shrill sound was heard from outside. Alyssa quickly whipped around to find the source of the sound. Her eyes fell on that of a red and gold suit. She gasped as the metal man landed with a thunk.