Chapter 31

All the lights were off in the venue.

I had assumed people would be awake still, but the whole way down here I hadn't passed anyone.

I probably know what you're thinking. What kind of dumbass listens to a shady text in the middle of the night from an unknown number?

Usually, not me. But for some reason I was dying of curiosity.
I'd left Billie asleep in the room, cuddling up to some of the huge pillows instead of me. I also texted Ethan to let him know where I was - you know, in case I get murdered.

As I got closer to the greenroom, my heart started to pound a little faster against my chest. I had a feeling I knew who it was, but I had no idea why they wanted to see me.

Spinning around as I thought I heard footsteps behind me, I sighed and carrying on wandering through the eerie halls once I saw no one was there.

The door to the greenroom was pushed slightly ajar, despite all the lights being off inside, so I made sure to hastily flick the lights on before I went in, sighing in relief that I was finally able to see something.

... An empty room.

"Seriously?" I muttered, wandering into the room and looking around, peeking my head into the also empty kitchen before hearing the main door close behind me.

My breath hitched in my throat as I shuffled a little further into the small kitchen, out of view from the other room.

The air was silent as neither of us spoke, and I couldn't tell if they knew where I was or not.

Before I heard a laugh.

Sighing, my eyes fluttered shut as I rested my head against the refrigerator, hearing his footsteps get closer as he leant against the kitchen doorframe, grinning at me.

"Hey."

I scoffed, pulling out my phone to check the time, seeing one missed call from E.

"What do you want?"

"Welll," he dragged out the word, running a hand through his colourful hair and smirking. "Ion know. I just couldn't get you outta my head."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched him bite his lip, scanning my body with his eyes slowly.

"But I'm in a press relationship now, baby. So we gotta be under the radar."

I almost laughed as I got even more confused, watching the man in disbelief. What the hell was he talking about?

"... What the hell are you talking about?"

He chuckled under his breath, sauntering over towards me with his hands in his pockets, never actually looking me in the eyes. I backed up as he carried on walking, and eventually I was pressed in between the counter and his body.

"I know you want this too, ma. We can keep it lowkey," he murmured, his hands falling onto my waist as he watched me. He slowly started to lean in towards my lips as I placed my hands against his chest, pushing him lightly away and quickly walking into the main room, hearing him laugh behind me.

I grabbed my phone and room key as he started rambling on behind me, and didn't hesitate in leaving the greenroom, walking briskly down the hall.

Hell no was I staying in that situation.

I heard him shut the greenroom door as he followed me down the hall, calling my name and telling me to stop. My breathing picked up as I kept my cool, walking at normal pace back to the hotel.

As I turned a corner in the corridors, I harshly collided with someone, feeling their hands fly out to hold me by the arms in shock.

I sighed with relief, watching Billie's contagious smile spread across her face as she slid her grip down my arms, holding my hands.

"You realise it's 1am, right?"

The footsteps in the previous corridor skidded to a halt at the sound of her voice into the silence, and I shakily exhaled as I heard them going back in another direction.

My arms flew around Billie's neck as I hugged her tightly, feeling her laugh and kiss my cheek, her arms wrapping around my waist instantly. She lifted me off the ground ever so slightly and placed my feet down on both of hers, before turning and wandering back to the hotel, our laughter echoing through the empty buildings as we hobbled back to our room.

"I don't know, man. Is it too late to change the setlist? I'm not really feeling it," Billie mumbled as I ran my hands through her hair, scratching her scalp as her eyes fluttered shut.

Finneas sighed, scribbling a few things into his notebook. "I mean, I guess not. We'd just have to do another soundcheck."

Billie, Claudia, Finn and I were all in our hotel room, as the siblings had a couple of things to work on before their first show of the international tour tonight. The twins and Macy were out exploring New Zealand, but Billie and I got to sleep at like 3am this morning, so we decided it'd be best to just chill here for a bit.

Finneas was fiddling around with some of his music stuff which had quickly been set up in the corner of the bedroom, Claudia sitting on the stool for his keyboard and playing on her phone, humming as he asked her for her opinion on something.

Billie was sprawled over the bed, her head resting on my lap as I played with her hair, feeling her breathing get softer as she turned to look at me, a little smile gracing her lips. She reached her head up to press a little kiss on the palm of my hand as I giggled, pinching her cheek like people do to babies. She groaned, swatting my hand away as we both laughed, Billie burying her face against the oversized material of the hoodie I was wearing as my hand fell into her hair again.

I glanced up to see Claudia smirking at us, raising her eyebrows and looking back down at her phone as a quiet laugh escaped her.