Chapter 45

Ethan's POV

I watched as Rose awkwardly cleared her throat, glancing down the hall before smiling at this 'Aiden' guy.

They held a light, low-key uncomfortable conversation, and I started pretending to clean around the living area just so I could listen.

I know it's bad, and I know I should just be happy that she's happy, but...

I'm totally suss about Billie.

Listen, I have my reasons, okay? I... saw something.

Like, two months ago before they went on vacation, when Rose was away on a business trip for a couple days in prep for the new leg of tour. I was in her apartment looking for my hat, and, uh...

'Fuck,' I muttered, stumbling over a shoe I didn't see, kicking it to the side of the room and continuing my search of the lost hat.

I was digging through Rose's huge chest of drawers by the front door, when I heard a noise.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm no little bitch. I'm brave. I'm strong. I lift weights everyday with Justin AND I don't even skip that scene in E.T. when he's getting tested on by the government.

Total brave ass.

But, I'm not about to lie to you. When I heard something in the other room, I chickened the fuck out and ran for the front door. I was about to burst outside into the sweet relief of safety when I turned back for one last glance, and...

Billie was there.

Like a deer in motherfucking headlights.

She looked so panicked that, initially, I thought that maybe she was scared by the noise, too.

"Bro, did you hear that?"

My best friend's girl stuttered out a few random noises before I heard something from the other room again; Billie glancing behind her and then back at me, her eyes wide and her breathing hitched.

"E! Hi! Uh," she stammered, licking her lips and awkwardly putting her hands in her pockets, trying to look normal. I raised an eyebrow. "What're, um, what're you doing?... here?"

Narrowing my eyes at the girl, I slowly wandered towards her, watching as she gulped. She nonchalantly shuffled in front of the doorway as I got closer, smiling cooly and propping herself up on the doorframe.

"Hey, hey! What's, um... Wha-"

"Cut the bullshit, Billie."

I'll admit, I got up in her business, then.

I was mad, and she wasn't answering me, and there's no way in hell I'm going to let something slide that I think will hurt Rose. Never.

She lightly but firmly shoved my chest, pushing me out of her personal space, laughing nervously.

"Ethan! What the fuck are you doing?"

"What the fuck am I doing? What the fuck are YOU doing, Billie?! Is someone here?"

I pushed past her and into the hallway, listening as she yelled my name, grabbing me by the wrist.

"NO! Stop! It's," she panted, tightening her grip on my wrist. "It's not what you think. Jesus, Ethan."

She laughed breathily, letting go of my wrist to tug out her space buns as she wandered back into the front room. Sighing frustratedly, I glanced down the hall behind me before she called my name, and I watched for a little longer before joining her.

Billie was leaning against the couch when I walked in, typing something on her phone. I cleared my throat, and she smirked at me, rolling her eyes and chuckling as she stood, wandering over to the fridge.

"Y'know," she chirped, the dull fridge light illuminating the features of her face softly. She pulled out a couple cans of something and turned back to me, smiling again as she closed the fridge behind her. "I had a feeling you didn't like me, Ethan."

I opened my mouth to interject, but she stopped me, gesturing with her hand and cracking open her can, taking a sip. "I get it. I totally do. Y'all were best friends before I came around. But..."

She strolled over to me, tossing a can against my chest before getting a little too close for comfort to my face. I could feel her breath against my face when she whispered.

"I never thought you'd peg me as a cheater."

The whole situation was so fucking weird that I decided not to even try and bring up that mess with Rose.

I didn't want her to get paranoid or hurt, and I didn't want to be the reason for a fight.

Also, shit, I could be the paranoid one.

Billie told me she was trying to scope out the place a little so she could plan a surprise party for Rose, because it was kinda near her birthday, and she just got a little startled when I came in in case I snitched.

I took that excuse and ran with it. Nobody needs the drama right now.

It's just...

We both left the apartment together after that, and we were talking about random shit in the elevator down to the ground floor, when I caught a glimpse of Billie's phone in the mirror walls.

She was texting, and I thought nothing of it, then. I just caught the name.

And now it all makes sense.

Aiden.

My breath hitched in my throat as I quickly snapped my head up in realisation, dropping whatever I was pretending to tidy and nearly running over to the door, colliding with the back of Rose.

Both of them were startled; Rose turning around to whisper-yell 'what the hell are you doing?!' and Aiden just chuckled in surprise.

My eyes could've burned a hole through him, and I felt Rose's hand against my chest as my breathing started to pick up.

"Get. Out."

Rose's eyebrows furrowed as she turned to glance at Aiden, her hand still cautiously against my chest.

Aiden laughed, his hands up by his sides in a mock surrender. He then crossed his arms, leaning back against the wall behind him. Smiling at me.

"I'm not even in, dude."

I snarled, taking a step forward as I heard Rose yelp, and the douchebag in front of me laughed again, raising his eyebrows.

"Calm your titties, man. I'm not even here to talk to you."

"I swear to God, if you wanna be able to leave, then you better fucking leave right now," I growled through gritted teeth, the rage inside of me growing at the sight of his stupid ass smirk.

"Ethan! What is the matter with you!"

"Yeah, Ethan? What's the matter?"

I nearly lunged for the guy before I heard it.

The voice I'd been waiting for.

The voice that better get involved right about fucking now.

"Oh, fuck."