twenty-eight

PLEASE, CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY "COOL KIDS CLUB" :) i'm really excited about it and i think it's going to be good!

     I slowly woke up and squinted my eyes because of the bright lights. There was a steady beeping beside me and I felt the semi-comfortable sheets below me. It didn't take long until I realized that I was in a hospital.

     "She's awake!" I heard a voice exclaim.

     I started to sit up but felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. My eyes widened and I fell back into the hospital bed. My head felt like it was throbbing and my arm and ankle were wrapped up.

     "It's best to stay still," I heard somebody inform me. I looked around to see a dude wearing a doctor jacket stand next to me. He seemed like the typical doctor— gray hair, glasses, wrinkles, a calm voice.

     "And you're my doctor, right?" I asked him for confirmation. My voice was very raspy and I cleared my throat which hurt my abdomen again.

     "Yes. Do you remember what happened?" he said curtly. Okay, he may sound caring but he's not that nice.

     I thought back to when I was riding my bicycle. Lucas. I nodded to the man and he gave me an okay. Then he informed me about my injuries.

     Apparently I was in a coma for about three days and two of my ribs were fractured. My entire right arm was broken— wrist and everything. Apart from my hand, which I was relieved since using one hand was a pain in the butt. Part of my right leg was also broken and I had a concussion. The doctor told me I was lucky there wasn't any internal bleeding in my brain. I had to be wheeled around in a wheel chair and I couldn't go to school for at least a week.

     So all in all, I was basically going to be dead for a month or two. Great. I was taken out of my thoughts from a tired looking mother. She went over to hug me but stopped herself, probably because of how many things were broken in my body.

"Kylie! Are you okay?" she asked, worry filling her voice. I almost laughed at her question— yeah, I'm great, Mom! Not like I have two ribs fractured and half my body broken.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I told her drowsily.

"Someone wants to see you," my mom told me and I wondered who it could be. Probably Lily or my brother. Or Jackson.

"Then bring them in," I told her in a 'duh' tone. She chuckled a little and went outside the bleak hospital room.

Not even a minute later, a tired looking Lucas walked in. Bags were under his eyes and his hair looked like a hurricane struck it. He had his glasses on, which made it the second time I've ever seen him wear glasses. I let out a soft laugh at him and how messy he looked.

"What? Are you laughing at me?" he asked in a fake offended manner, putting his hands against his chest with a small pout on his lips. I giggled at how stupid he acted.

"No, of course not!" I exclaimed.

"Mhm, sure," he responded and waited a moment before continuing, "I'm sorry about what happened earlier. I shouldn't have gone back to Natalia— I just felt like it was the only choice I had. I didn't want to be the cause of your pain."

My happiness went down the drain and I wished he didn't mention anything about the earlier drama. He seemed to notice because his face saddened even more. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

     "I want to make it up to you," Lucas told me and a glint of curiosity filled my eyes.

     "And how are you going to do that?" I asked him. If I could move, I would but it hurt like a female dog.

     Lucas gave me his signature smirk before Lily, Jackson, and Ashton walked into the hospital room with tons of gifts and cards. They also carried Wii controllers and games, and I felt the need to hug them all. It sucked that I couldn't.

     "Listen, we don't forgive him but he called us up and wanted to do something to make you feel better," Lily explained and placed some 'get well soon' balloons and cards on the table beside me. "People from school sent cards to you."

     "I doubt I know half of them," I responded with a small laugh, which Lily returned.

     "Alright, now who's ready to play some games?" Jackson shouted but not too loud to where everybody could hear him. Hopefully.

     Everyone including me said me in an excited tone. After making our dumb characters which were all named stupid names like "Oink Oink" and "Mr. Fartsalot," we played Mario Kart for about two hours. At least.

     During that time, nurses came in to check in to check if everything was okay and to see if anything seemed to abruptly pop up— like internal bleeding in my head. I was glad to hear that none of the tests she ran came back positive.

     When it was time for all of my friends to go, they hugged me gently and I gave them a sad smile. Lucas, however, asked to stay a little longer in which my three other friends gave him a "don't mess anything up" look. He let out a chuckle and pulled up a chair to sit next to me.

     "So do you forgive me yet?" he asked and the slightest smile tugged at his lips.

     Since I was feeling bold at the current moment, I did something I never thought I would ever do in a trillion years. Especially not with Lucas and I surprised myself when the words came out of my mouth.

     "Not until you kiss me," I replied in a calm tone before realizing what I had just said. Five words that I never thought I would ever say together in that arrangement.

     Lucas saw my face and gave me a small smirk, saying smugly, "Well, that's something I can actually do. Thank the Lord you didn't want me to jump off a cliff or something."

     I chuckled at his comment, and he leaned closer to me. It felt painfully slow as he inched closer and closer until our noses were slightly touching against one another. His eyes locked into mine and they were full of love— full of compassion. I smiled as his lips connected with mine.

     Sparks flew everywhere and the moment felt perfect. Yeah, I was in a hospital bed with half my body broken, but there was nothing I wanted to change. His lips moved against mine and I put the hand that I could move in his soft, brown hair, tugging at it slightly. Both of our eyes were closed as we took in the moment.

     He was the first to pull away. His forehead went against mine as both of our eyes were still shut. The silence between us was comfortable and it felt right. I felt complete even though my body was covered in broken bones and fractured ribs.

     "I love you," Lucas told me vehemently after a moment with no hesitation in his voice, and his eyes were still closed shut. His voice held every emotion failed to show in the past few weeks. Guilt, pain, sadness, love, passion.

     "I love you too," I told him and the corners of my lips turned upwards.

     So that's how I spent my day in the hospital after waking up from a three day coma; a worried mom, four friends that meant the world to me, Mario Kart racing, gifts, a kiss, and exchanged "I love you's."

——

hey guys! if you liked this chapter, please vote, comment, and give me a follow if you want to see more :) love u guys!

- aspen