epilogue

"Lucas!" I screamed out, hitting my boyfriend's back with a laugh.

"Is there something wrong, Kylie?" he asked as he held me over his shoulder.

"Put me down right now!" I huffed. I gave him a moment to put me down, but once he didn't, I decided to do the one thing I was amazing at. Pinching.

"What the fuck!" he yelled out, dropping me into the beach water.

"Just because we've graduated college doesn't mean you can swear, mister," I told him.

"Oh, yeah? Fuck, bitch, ass, sl-" Lucas started to say a string of profanities before I put my hand over his mouth.

Then I felt something wet against the palm of my hand. "Did you just lick my hand? That is so disgusting, what the heck!"

"We literally share our spit when we kiss," Lucas retorted and pecked me on the lips.

"I'm never kissing you again," I told him, before smiling.

"That's such a lie."

"Yeah, you're right. Come here."

We kissed for what seemed like the hundredth time today. Not even ten seconds into it, I felt a splash against my skin, and I snapped my head to look where it came from.

"PDA!" Lily screamed with a giggle.

I chased her around in the water, bringing my legs high enough to actually run. "You act like you don't kiss Damien in front of all of us."

     Lily scoffed playfully, "We are exceptional!"

     "Sure, sure."

     A few minutes later, he was staring at me with a small smile on his face. "What are you thinking about?" I asked playfully.

"How lucky I am to have such a weirdo as my girlfriend," Lucas replied, his smile growing into a laugh.

"Alright, and you're not a weirdo?" I retorted before he chuckled again, picking me up again and setting me down on the sand. "I have legs, you know."

"What are legs? I don't know what you're talking about," he responded.

Lily, Damien, Lucas, Jackson, Ashton, all of their families and mine, and a few other friends planned to go on vacation to the beach. After graduating high school, we all went out different ways but still ended up staying in touch. Five years passed and Lucas and I have finally graduated from college with master degrees. Some of us finished college sooner than others and some are still in college, but it was summer anyways.

I was honestly just dreading having to get an actual job but I think that opening a local candy shop would be fun. Of course, I wouldn't do it all alone— there'd be help from family and friends. Being a small business owner seemed fun.

Lucas, on the other hand, wanted to be a software developer, which is cool for him but I honestly don't know anything about that stuff. I snapped out of my thoughts by a hand waving over my face.

"We're gonna go head out to eat dinner and then come back, let's go!" Damien said excitedly. I grinned and followed him to the Jeep my mom got me for graduating high school.

"Lucas isn't driving," I announced and Lucas responded with a pouty face. "So who wants to drive?"

"I will, I will!" Lily exclaimed and jumped into the driver's seat without any hesitation. I remember her telling me that it was her dream to drive a Jeep and that she'd be driving it everywhere even though it wasn't even her car.

      Dinner was full of energy and enthusiasm, and everybody was in their happy place. Surrounded by the people they love during the summer in the nice, warm weather. I don't anything could be any better. We went to a nice restaurant near the beach and decided to sit outside since the warm breeze felt nice.

      By the end of dinner, the sun was setting. Millions of shades of orange, red, and yellow filled the sky and tinted the clouds. I smiled at the sunset, admiring how beautiful it was.

     "Kylie," Lucas said, his hand intertwined in mine. He stood up, a smile on his face. "For the past ten or so years I've known you, I'm not gonna lie, you didn't like me for six of those years, but who knew tutoring would be the one to get us together?" He chuckled before continuing.

      "There are eight billion people on this planet, and that's a lot of people. Right now, there are people holding hands, going to the fair, saying 'I love you' to one another. There are parents watching their child taking their first steps, speaking their first words. There are people eating dinner under the colorful sky. People tutoring others, people laughing together.

     "But right now, there's us out in the summer breeze . Out of eight billion people in the world, I was so lucky to meet you because even though we had our petty fights and stupid arguments, we made it through. You're my high school sweetheart," he told me with a small wink. I laughed at him and his cheesiness. "You've pushed me beyond my limits and made me a better person."

     "Words can't describe how much I love and care about you. God, I love you so much," he said, his voice full of love. He then proceeded to get on one knee and pull something out from his pocket. My eyes widened in realization and I put my hands over my mouth in surprise.

     "Will you, Kylie Anderson, make me the happiest human being alive out of the eight billion people on Earth, and marry me?" He opened the ring box to an actual ring, and memories of when he asked me to be his girlfriend flashed back to me.

     A ring pop to an actual diamond ring.

     Tears started to swell up in my eyes and I nodded repeatedly, too overwhelmed to form any words. Everyone started clapping as I wrapped my arms tightly around him. He smiled at me and gave me a kiss, placing the ring on my finger.

     I sat back down with my ringed hand in his. "I love you so much," I whispered and placed my head on his shoulder.

     Many people congratulated us and it was honestly all euphoria.

     "I love you more," he whispered back, kissing the side of my head.

      God, Lucas still never gave me those cupcakes, but it's okay. I have something— someone better now I guess.