Chapter 3: Marché Hotel

ALEC

A WEEK LATER

Alec was sitting behind the wheel of his undercover car, watching the street ahead. The case he had been working involved speaking to an old club owner for a witness statement—only the guy they needed had disappeared off their radar not two weeks prior. Intel Alec had gathered stated that the club owner owned a private storage unit, just a few dozen yards from where the detective's car was parked. He, along with another unit of officers had been staking out the place day and night, figuring the guy would be bound to show up eventually.

Suddenly his radio sounded on. "West, two o'clock," the officer's voice said.

His eyes had already spotted their target, as he seemed to check around the street before making his way across to the storage hanger.

"Do we go in cautious? We don't want him running before we can catch up."

Alec chuckled to himself. "Now where's the fun in that?" He held the radio up to give his call. "I'm going in direct. If he tries to make a run for it, cut him off."

With that, the detective got out of the car and began walking quickly in the same direction as their suspect, making his pace fast, but not obvious. The suspect was wearing a dark green coat, walking along the sidewalk with his back facing Alec—who followed at an even pace a few meters behind. But it seemed the guy had caught on, he began moving faster, casting a quick glance behind him. He knew he was being followed.

...screw it.

"NYPD, stop right there!" Alec shouted at once, flashing his badge.

The guy stopped when he heard NYPD, saw the badge, and then immediately took off down the street. The detective rolled his eyes.

"Ok that is the opposite of what 'stop right there' means," Alec grumbled to himself as he pocketed his badge and began running after the guy. Hopefully the other two would be able to cut off his escape when he made a left.

Nope. He turned right.

Shit, Alec cursed as he ran after the suspect. The guy was lost in his line of sight for a moment as he turned the next corner ahead of Alec. Alec caught up quick, but it appeared, not quick enough. When he rounded the corner he stopped in his tracks.

There, was none other than Maize. And she appeared to have his suspect cuffed and gagged on the back of her motorcycle.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, a little annoyed that she had shown up out of nowhere.

"What does it look like?" she replied sarcastically.

"That's my suspect," Alec stated. Amber eyes staring at him through the open visor of her helmet.

"Sorry," she answered indifferently. "He's my bounty."

"Dammit Ember—" he was cut off as her engine roared to life.

"See ya, West," Maize called, giving him a salute before she rode out of the alley at high speed, not giving him a chance to stop her.

Alec slapped a palm to his face and groaned out loud. " Damn that bounty hunter..." He could practically feel her smirk as she drove off, farther and farther away.