Chap. 12: I Don't Get It

(picture of Katie's bouquet of tulips above)
*Katie's POV*

So, should I be bitter that Chris left me stranded at the hospital? I was on pain meds and already lightheaded from the sight of my own blood. And he just left me there with a lame excuse! I know it was to escape our terrible third date but he could have at least drove me to my apartment building. I cried myself to sleep last night from my heartache, which my meds can't dull away.
When I woke up this morning, I had several missed calls from Chris, Hannah, Halee, and Dad. I got an earful from Hannah when I got to work, but only after she pointed out my totally noticeable bandage and I half explained what happened. She laughed at my tragedy and then cussed me out for not answering her the night before. And it really made me mad when she told me it was embarrassing for her clients to see my face now that I am going to have a scar on my face. But I bit my tongue and went on with my day. Cinderella didn't get to have her magical night after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I came back from my short lunch break, I saw a beautiful bouquet of pink tulips laying on my desk. I quickly clock in and take the bouquet in my hands. They are so beautiful! It's hard to find tulips around here in the mid-summer. I grab the card and begin to read. My mouth goes dry and my smile goes as quickly as it came.
"Jerk." I say under my breath, wiping a tear away.
It's from Chris, who asks for me to meet him at a roller rink tomorrow at 11 a.m. I crumble the paper up and throw it in the trash. Hannah steps out of her office, her eyes focused on her new mani-pedi she got in Vegas. She stops when she gets to my desk.
"So, Chris called me twenty minutes ago, right after you left for lunch." Oh no, this is not good at all. "I don't get it."
I shrug. "What?"
"You've got bad tan lines, you're socially awkward, you're short and chubby, and to top it all of—" I am being verbally slapped in the face by my boss and it actually feels better than my heartache, "the drop dead gorgeous gagillionaire still wants to go out on YET ANOTHER date with you. What tricks are you playing in bed?"
My cheeks flush, my throat dry and tight. I can't respond to that so I won't even try. I just stare at these beautiful tulips unhappily.
"Well, whatever you're doing, I would kill to have him call my boss and beg to let me off tomorrow and every weekend just so he can have me for himself." Hannah says annoyed, "I'm doubling your hours now since you're off tomorrow and every weekend. I just couldn't say no to that sexy man."
Okay, that ticks me off. Chris has no right to call and mess with my work life. I had the right hours! Now Hannah is going to take her jealousy out on me. I could cry again. I just may.