Twenty Three

Twenty Three

By the time you got out of the car and onto the street, the sun was slowly starting to set as darkness began to take over the distant horizon.

It was nightfall.

You clutched on to your backpack tightly, feeling a strange sensation form in the pit of your stomach. Brush it off, you told yourself.

"We'll just park here," Konan informed, leading the way. "We'll take the shortcut."

She led the rest of you through a suspiciously eerie path which then led you into the misty forest.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Sasori questioned, following behind the blue haired girl.
"Yea, I've been here many times before," she replied confidently. "If we get there first, we get to set our tent up anywhere we want."
"Well I didn't spot any other cars yet, so we must be the first ones here. Yeah!" Deidara boasted, proudly.
"Let's just hurry up before it gets completely dark," you muttered, making sure you were little to no distance away from the other three.

You dreaded the very thought of getting lost in the middle of the woods, especially during the night time. You felt a shiver down your spine, which you tried to shake off by nervously getting a hold of Deidara's hand. He reacted to your sudden movement with a playful smirk tugging at the corner of his plump lips. All though quite unconventional, the playful smirk seemed to bring your anxious heart some much-needed comfort.

Deidara's here with you and so are Sasori and Konan, you told yourself. There was absolutely no reason for you to be afraid. After all, Deidara's got your back. Right?

* * *

"Yeah.." Deidara said, awkwardly. "I don't think we're going the right way."

"We've been walking for ten minutes now," Sasori commented.
"I told you I know where I'm going," Konan spat stubbornly, continuing to lead the way.

You had passed by a couple hundred trees by now, which were all remarkably green and stood as tall as the Eiffel tower itself. And even though you hated to admit the bitter truth, you knew very well that you were lost.

You were all lost.

"Fuck, I got no signal," Deidara cursed, putting his phone away in frustration.

"Y/N?" Sasori said in his soft voice, turning around to face you. "Are you cold?"

"What?" you asked confused at first, but soon noticed the goosebumps that had appeared on your arms. "A little."

"Take this," he said, handing you his sweater which he had removed in a matter of seconds.

"Thank you but it's okay," you replied, shyly. "I have my own in my bag."

"I insist," he pleaded with an eager tone to match his equally eager eyes.

"Aw thank you Sasori," you accept, taking the sweater off his hands and putting it on.

He couldn't help but beam at the sight of a pretty girl in his clothing, which not to mention, was slightly big on you. He thought it was absolutely adorable.

"How do I look?" you ask, wiggling your eyebrows in a teasing manner.

"Really-"
"Shh!" Konan shushed everyone with a worried look taking over her face. "Did you hear that?"

Everyone quieted down, in order to hear what exactly it was that she was talking about. You were all anxiously waiting.

And waiting.

And waiting.

Until... you finally heard it. A low yet very intimidating growl that was almost too horrifying to belong to an average human being. Please don't be what I think it is, you prayed desperately. But unfortunately, your history of bad luck did not come to an end today.

Your whole body froze up. Your heart began to beat twice as fast and your temperature began to grow abnormally cold, even in the presence of Sasori's warm sweater. You felt a strong pair of hands pulling you away from the creature and snapping you out of your shocked state. You just couldn't get yourself to look away. There it stood, far out of reach but close enough to see.

A freaking wild bear.