Chapter 1 - Aria

PRESENT

*Trigger warning: this chapter contains mild content of domestic abuse. Please read with caution or skip select scenes entirely*

I shrink back into the wall and plead in a small voice, afraid to speak. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" Robbie throws the mug across the room and it crashes into the wall, breaking into a million pieces. The noise is so loud that I can't help my flinch and the shaking of my body. I hate that I'm so weak when it comes to him. It makes me disgusted with myself.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you." I try again and make my voice as soft as possible. Acting defiant will only make him angrier. "It just slipped out."

"In front of all my friends?" He stalks towards me, cheeks flushed and eyes blazing, and I have to fight to contain my sob at the fear I feel. "You did that on purpose. Do you enjoy gloating about yourself, Aria?"

"Of course not." I whisper.

"Don't lie to me!" He smacks his hand on the wall beside my head and I flinch. His lips curls in satisfaction. Robbie always felt better about himself when he made me squirm. It made him feel powerful and superior.

"Please, Robbie." I try again. "I didn't mean to make myself sound better or anything. I would never do that to you."

He places his other hand beside my head and cages me in. He leans forward until our noses brush and I stay very still. I don't react when he presses his lips to mine and parts them so he can slip his tongue inside. I don't react when he bites down — hard — because I know it's a warning. And when he pulls away, I keep myself passive because I know that kiss wasn't out of love and affection. It was a reminder that he could do whatever he wants to me.

"You think you're so innocent, Aria. So perfect. Well, I know better." He yanks my arm and drags me away from the wall, throwing me to the floor. I land on my back and my breath gets trapped in my throat. For a moment I can't breathe and I force myself to cough until I can. I get up on my palms and force myself back to my feet instead of running like I want to. Robbie always did prefer to chase.

Part of me is irritated that he's making such a big deal out of something so small. Robbie's friends and I were all comparing marks on our midterm and all I did was mention that Robbie and I studied together and that I only got two percent higher than him. I didn't think it would piss him off but one glance at his tight mouth and my stomach had sank. I'd said the wrong thing and I would give anything to take it back. But right now, I'm just going to have deal with this.

"No, baby." I shake my head and cup his face. I stroke his cheeks with my thumb and try to make my touch as soft as possible, hoping to calm him. "I know I'm not perfect and I won't ever try to act like I am again. I promise you, baby."

He searches my eyes and I try to keep my features as genuine as possible. I smile softly and lean forward to kiss him, just a gentle peck, before pulling away. His shoulders drop and he takes me into his arms for a hug. I breathe a sigh of relief against his shoulder and hug him back, pleading to whoever is listening that he'll just call it a night.

"You're going to make it up to me, baby." He whispers and I freeze. Not today. I don't want it today. "Come on."

He pulls away and I plaster a smile on my face while he leads me to his bedroom. I ignore the tightness in my stomach. I guess I'd rather have his hands on me lovingly than violently. He locks the door behind him and then I blank out.

I bolt upright with a harsh gasp, my hand going to my chest where I can feel my heart thunder violently. My hand moves to cover my mouth instead in an attempt to contain the sob that wants to come out.