Chapter 3 - Asher

PAST

"Get off of me!" I tell the two men holding my arms and taking me out of the car. They don't listen. They never do. They think I'm stupid just because I'm a kid.

"Stay still, you runt." The short and fat one mutters. He's been there for almost all of my moves so he knows me well. He's probably sick of me now. That's okay. I'm just as sick of him.

"Make me, ugly." I scowl. I almost spit on him but last time that got me into the kind of trouble I couldn't handle. I know my limits. I've been in the system too long not to.

"You ungrateful little shit." He hisses. I rear back when his face gets close to mine. He always has bad breath. Hasn't he ever heard of toothpaste? I'm a poor foster child and even I know that. "Let's see how long this couple can handle you. I bet two weeks."

"That's way too generous." The tall and thin one laughs. "I bet two days. Have you met them? Asian people are all about manners and etiquette. This white tyke won't last an hour under their rules."

I breathe harshly through my nose so I don't cry. The last time I cried, the transport men laughed at me. It's what they wanted. They were just happy "ice boy" finally showed some weakness. That's what they call me. I don't care but sometimes it hurts. That's why I don't pay attention to them.

"And you would?" I snarl back, kicking his leg. He yelps at the unexpected hit and glares at me, tightening his hold on my arm so tightly I have to bite my tongue so I don't cry out. "Your manners are shit. They would whip you up into better shape than me."

"Don't be a smart-ass, kid." The fat one gets in my face again. I crinkle my nose against the smell coming out of his mouth. "You know what I do to smart-asses."

I keep my eyes on his, trying real hard not to look at the cane strapped to his hip. I know exactly what he does because he's done it before. I won't let him see my fear. I won't be weak.

"Worry about yourself, you fat-ass!" I kick him too and tug my arms out of their holds. I think it's a miracle that they actually let go and I take off running, away from the house that I'm supposed to go to. I don't want to go to another strange place. I don't want to sleep in another strange bed. I don't want to call more strange people my "parents." Nobody owns me. Why won't they leave me alone?

I don't make it very far before the bad men catch me again. They pick me up by my arm and I kick my legs in the air but it's no use. They're too strong for me. Hot tears burn my eyes and I put on a mean face so they won't come out. I won't be weak.

"Put him down!"

All three of us look up in surprise at the angry voice. There's an Asian man standing in front of the house and he looks pissed. He's pretty tall and in good shape and I think maybe he does karate. Maybe I should learn a few moves for him before I try to make a run for it.

The two men drop me and I fall on the grass, landing on my hands and knees. I make a noise in the back of my throat when I see the green stain on the knees of my jeans. This is my only clean pair! They did this on purpose!

Don't cry, Asher.

I pinch my arm real hard and focus on the pain of that instead. There's no time to focus on the pain in my chest. The pain there makes me weak.

"Is this how you treat children?" The angry man says in a loud voice. I jump in my skin and start to feel scared. Oh, no. What if he hits like some of the others? What if he gets mad when he drinks? I take a step back. I shouldn't have made a scene. I probably already pissed him off and I haven't even stepped inside the house. Why do I ruin everything?