Chapter 35 - Asher

PRESENT

"Eyes off my sister's ass, Pryce."

My brows go up in amusement at the scowl on Nate's face. You'd think he'd be used to me and Aria dating by now but he still isn't. At least, he pretends not to be. Personally, I think he just enjoys being a dick and having an excuse to deck me in the face every now and then.

After that day I woke up in the hospital, Nate came by again to talk to me. He gave me the classic "if you hurt her, I'll hurt you" speech but our talk went deeper than that. I wasn't just some random dude dating his sister—I was his best friend. He ripped me a new one for going behind his back and not being honest with him and I let him. I deserved it. We also talked about how different shit is probably going to be now that I'm in love with his sister instead of bothering her and pulling on her pigtails. Technically I can still do that when we're in bed but I didn't add that part. I had enough close calls with death to risk another.

Overall he was pretty cool about us but I knew he would be. Nate isn't the kind of guy that holds a grudge or stays mad for too long. Besides, once Ria and I were open with him it was obvious how much I loved her and that gave him a peace of mind too. Didn't stop him from punching my face in when I finally recovered from surgery three weeks later, though. Again, I let him. Now we're completely even.

That's why I like to piss him off by blatantly checking out Ria around him and sucking her face in front of him every chance I get. He may be my best friend but I also happen to be a total asshole.

"I've had more than just my eyes on that ass, Hunter." I smirk over at him.

He growls low in his throat, his fist twitching beside him. "I can't stand you, you know that?"

I sling an arm around his neck in a loose hold and smack his cheek. "You're my brother. You have no choice."

"Fucker thinks he can do whatever he wants just because he almost died." He mumbles but his lips quirk up in silent laughter.

Our friendship has changed since I was shot, too. Nate and I have always been close as hell but something me almost losing my life woke us up and brought us even closer. I'm also a lot more transparent with the rest of the guys now. They're important as fuck to me and I make an effort to spend time with them and get to know them better, letting them get to know me better too. It's not easy because I'm built to push others away but they can tell I'm trying, I think. It's pretty great not having to hide who I am around them anymore.

Their girls all know my story too and have assured me that they don't think any different of me. I think coming clean to Delilah was my biggest turning point. She's my best bud's fiancé and for that reason she deserves to know who I truly am, for her sake and her son's—who I no longer try to stay away from. The kid's cute as fuck and I finally have the kind of relationship with him I've always wanted. Pretty sure I'm biased saying this but I have no doubt I'm his favourite uncle. Turns out I'm pretty good with kids when I'm not paranoid around them about my fucked up past. Go figure.

"You ready for this?" Coach enters the ring and I snap out of it. He grabs me by the shoulders and gives me a confident stare. "You're winning this one, Pryce."

"Damn straight." I grin, clapping him on the back.

He's the one I'm most grateful for. I know I would have died without his help. Him and Mitch sacrificed everything to help me fix my mistakes and because of them, I'm a free man. Life has been amazing now that I'm no longer busy running from it. And with Aria by my side? A fucking dream.

"Take a seat." Coach gestures at the foldable chair in my corner of the ring. I follow his instructions, knowing I'm about to get one of his famous pep talks. I've always wanted one of those after years of hearing him coach the guys. It's finally my turn.