Chapter 23 - Asher

PAST

"This guy is a fucking tool." I mutter under my breath to Nate.

"Hmm?" He takes his face out of his plate of chicken, his mouth full as he blinks at me.

"Jesus, clean yourself up." I throw a tissue his way, my lips curling into a sneer. We've recently started hitting the gym a lot harder and grown one hell of an appetite but Nate is like a human vacuum around food.

He shrugs and finishes the bite in his mouth before wiping his face. "What were you saying?"

"I'm saying your sister's boyfriend is a fucking tool." I jerk my chin to the kitchen window that overlooks the front yard and scowl.

Aria and her new boyfriend Robbie are cuddled up on the porch swing. She has her legs in his lap while he messages them, leaning forward to kiss her. They suck face like they're sharing a piece of gum and I growl low in my throat, looking away. It's like every time I look at them they start making out. It's getting fucking ridiculous seeing their faces permanently attached.

"Yeah, I don't like him either." Nate agrees. He looks disgusted at the way Robbie tries to eat Aria's face off. What the hell kind of name is Robbie anyways? He sounds like he belongs in the Simpsons.

"He rubs me the wrong way." I add because it's true. Aria seems happy with him but sometimes he acts like a total creep. He's borderline obsessed with her, always watching what she's doing or what she's wearing or who she's talking to. The guy gives me the creeps.

"More like he's always rubbing on Aria." Nate grumbles and I wince at the reminder.

"What the fuck does she see in him?" I question.

He's an average looking dude, if that. With Ria's looks she could get any guy she wanted. Guys are constantly checking her out when she walks around Boston University campus and I've had to divert too many creeps from trying to follow her around like lost puppies. Makes me fucking grateful that we at least attend the same school and I can look out for her. Nate, too.

"I'm not sure if she even likes him." Nate admits. "Sometimes I think she just enjoys having company and not giving a shit who gives it. This fucker just happens to be around."

"But why him?" I scowl at the two of them when Robbie burrows his face in Aria's neck, making her giggle. "She could do so much fucking better."

"You're telling me." He snorts. "Hell, at this point I'd rather she be with you than that piece of shit."

My heart misses its next beat at his words. Of all the fucking things he could have said to me. I keep my face neutral as hell despite the fact that my hands are suddenly clammy.

"Why would you say that?"

"I'm just fucking around." He shoves my shoulder and disposes his plate in the sink. "You and Aria? That's gross, man. She's like your sister."

Then I guess I'm a fucking sleaze-ball because I want her so bad it's hard to fucking breathe knowing I can't have her.

How can he be so blind to my feelings? I know I go out of my way to hide them from Aria by hooking up with other girls so she never suspects me but...shouldn't Nate realize what I feel by now? Most of the time I'm being obvious as hell. You'd think he'd catch on by now.

"Yeah. Gross." I mutter.

I glance out to the porch again because apparently I have a hard-on for fucking torturing myself. My hands grip the counter behind me tightly at the sight of Aria nibbling Robbie's ear, him laughing and pulling her closer. They've only been together for a month so they're clearly still in the honeymoon phase. Now that's fucking gross.