Chapter 5

Commotion and doors closing were all I could hear; I was sat crosslegged in the centre of the bed in the room I woke up in, waiting to face another human, bringing my count to four people and one deer in my whole life. 

My nerves had skyrocketed, and I was back to my old habits, biting my nails, so they're jagged and sharp, then clawing at my hands and arms, scratching up my skin and leaving long thin red lines, making the pain numb my erratic heart and taking my mind off the fact that someone is about to asses me. Probably assessing me to see if I'm able to go back to my parent's house, see if I'm healthy enough for another eighteen years of abuse and beatings.

I'd kill myself before I step foot in that house again, I have nothing to live for.

The commotion was getting louder, and thuds were heard outside the door, coming closer and making my arms shake in anticipation.

Why do I have to be like this?

The door opened wide with a happy Alaric coming through with a shadow behind him, revealing a much shorter man in his fifties, dressed in a thin white coat and a leather case in his hand. His hair was brown with grey whisps and his aura yelled authority, similar to Alaric but not as intense.

"Be gentle with her, she's been through a lot and hasn't been around many people in her life." Alaric murmured in the man's ear, trying to mention it discretely but failing as I had mastered lip reading as a child, not to his knowledge.

The man nodded and faced me, a smile adorning his aged face and he looked to be on edge and nervous, seems like we might get long.

"Hello Luna, my names Mark and I'll be doing some tests to see if you need any medication or treatment," Mark said curtly, placing his leather box on the bed and sitting beside me. I looked up to Alaric, seeing him shoot the doctor a death glare but Mark seemed oblivious, rummaging round in his box.

I had a number of questions march their way into my brain at that moment. For starters, what was a Luna? I assume its an endearment to a young lady, but I could be mistaken. I'll have to write it down amongst my million other questions to ask Alaric.

Secondly, why was Alaric so mad? He was the one that wanted me to see this doctor, and now he looks like he wants to set the man on fire from his eyes, it was all so strange.

The room was mostly silent apart from the doctor pulling my t-shirt sleeve up and wrapping this cuff around my arm; the whole situation felt very awkward and tense for some odd reason.

The cuff was expanding and constricting my arm, making numb pain shoot up and down, causing me to me wince. The silence was then broken by this guttural growl pierce the air, making my heart race.

I hated the sound; it sounded pained.

I look up to find Alaric standing tall and hovering completely over the doctor, his face was something I had never seen on him before, and it was frightening me, let alone the doctor.

A long low growl was leaving Alaric's lips, and his sharp two teeth were making another appearance through his full lips, making me realise the first growl came from him, why did he sound so distraught?

"What did we talk about?" Alaric growled down to the quivering doctor. Alaric's voice was profoundly deep, and it sounded like it came from another person, he never sounded like this before and I was starting to think he was possessed by something. I had heard about ghosts and spirits before as a kid when I would read fantasy books and fairytales, but I never thought they could be real.

Alaric being a witch sounded more believable by the second.

"S-sorry Alpha." The doctor stuttered. Another thing we have in common!