Chapter 39

Finding the lanky male was a lot harder than I anticipated.

Straight after the naughty exchange with Alaric, I dashed out the office in search for Caleb, needing to fit the last piece of the puzzle I so desperately want to finish.

The young little girl that helped me in the panic room has been consuming my mind ever since I first saw her. The striking resemblance to my younger years and the eerie feeling that crept up my spine every time she murmured something has been replaying over and over again in my head, trying to make sense of it all.

Her eyes meet mine whenever I close my own, those sad little eyes peering up at me with wonder and unspoken truths.

I'm quickly losing my mind over this, and if I don't get my answers now, I'll never get my chance.

I wanted to ask Caleb about it the most as he was around the area and must have seen the little one himself, and I hope he knows at least something about the little angel so I can thank her for calming me down.

Ask her why she chose to help me, of all the people in there that night.

Running with vigour across the vast pack grounds was an intense workout for my brittle bones, my breathing trying to keep up with me and my legs trying not to wobble and collapse into themselves was a challenging task.

Spotting his head in the distance, I picked up speed so I wouldn't lose him, running as hard as I physically could and pushing myself to my limit.

This is the moment I would scream his name, stop him from moving and turn to see my pathetic excuse of running, dashing straight towards him. But I couldn't say a word, only run as hard as my thin legs could take me and remember to keep breathing.

Caleb was heading straight into the packhouse, stepping through the entryway into the kitchen.

I was running so fast, and I was almost in arms reach, feeling myself about to stumble any moment and crash to the ground unceremoniously.

Busting through the doorway with unnatural speed, I dive straight into Caleb's back, completely catching him off guard and tackling him to the ground face first, whilst my body flops onto his back, cushioning my fall onto the hard wooden floorboards.

"What the f*ck!" Caleb groaned loudly on the floor, his boney back dug into my side, and a squeaky wince escaped my lips, pain covered my entire being, and I felt like I ran straight into a brick wall.

Caleb rolled over which caused me to fall back with a thump onto the ground next to him, my back colliding with the floor and causing another cry to pass through my lips, burning my throat in searing pain.

"Shit Willow you scared me half to death!" Caleb said with a deep frown glancing down at my curled body, feeding his hands grip under my back and picking me up off the ground, firm in his arms and feeling the burning pain and bruises that are sure to appear on my back where he's holding me.

I showed him my most apologetic expression whilst trying to hold back my inner pain, disguising it to stop him from worrying.

"It's alright, Luna, mistakes happen." Caleb smiled down at me, lowering me to my feet and checking me over for damage, when the only damage I had was to my back and throat, both disguised from Caleb's wandering eyes.

The sound of footsteps snapped my attention away from Caleb and to the open doorway from the main kitchen area.

Jessie waltzed into the room and paused when she saw me, her eyes wide in surprise, and her mouth dropped open slightly, shock evident on her face at the sight of me here.