Chapter 9

Looking at the white floor in this tiny hospital room, stood a midnight black wolf with emerald eyes, piercing into mine and looking deep into my soul. 

I was frozen solid like ice, looking down at the furry creature in terror and fright, not knowing if it was going to pounce on me and eat me alive, or worse, bring me back to the woods and share me with its other furry friends.

I was now visibly shaking, and I felt a panic attack coming, I closed my eyes shut and wrapped my arms around myself, trying to keep the tears back and to calm myself down, nothing can hurt me if my eyes are closed.

Rocking backwards and forwards, trying to ease my breathing and control myself, I felt a loud whine vibrate the room and the mattress dipping, causing my body to dip and my arms unclasp and fling to my sides to help balance myself. Still, with my eyes closed, I felt a large furry thing brush against my sides and lean against my body, seeming to get comfortable.

I felt a wet long tongue swipe against my neck and leaving slobber on my skin, causing me to shriek in surprise and swipe the wetness away shakily.

I decided to face my demons this time instead of running away from them, opening my eyes slowly I was met with the same hairy wolf lying across my lap with its tummy facing me and its paws reaching out to me, pressing gently against my cheeks.

At the slightest touch, it made all my worries vanish, and I weirdly felt safe with the wolf. I had no idea how it came in or where my saviour was, but this wolf looked cute to me.

It was the strangest thing, looking down at a menacing wolf which seconds ago looked like it would eat me, yet here it was, lying on its back and begging me to cuddle him. With a new crazy thing happening each day, I don't think anything could surprise me anymore.

With a small smile growing on my face, I ran my hand across its belly and stroked its shiny black fur, making low growls leave the wolves muzzle, arching its back, and seeming to enjoy the massage. I smiled down at the silly wolf, loving how it was so playful and eased all my worries.

Wolfie shuffled its body off my lap and stood above me at its full height, making me gulp from the sheer size of the wolf that I failed to notice before cuddling it, bringing back my nerves.

The wolf tilted its head down at me and sniffed my neck, running its wet nose against my cold skin and igniting those familiar sparks that I get whenever Alaric touches me, that's very odd. The wolf was occasionally growling against my neck, making me on high alert in this position, as it could easily go for my throat and kill me instantly.

Sitting incredibly still, I kept my head down in submission and let the wolf do its thing, not wanting to anger the creature or get myself killed.

After a few moments of the wolf circling my body and brushing its sides against me, probably leaving lots of fluff on my hospital gown, I felt the wolf face me. Its beautiful eyes pierced down at me as if it was studying all my features, reading me and looking into every dark part of me, I felt so exposed.

Shivering in anxiousness, I felt the wolfs furry head lean against mine, forehead to forehead. If a doctor walked in right now, I think they might faint from the sight, witnessing a wolf lean its head against mine in this tiny hospital room. I wouldn't blame them for running in the opposite direction.

Many questions were playing on my mind during this strangely intimate moment between this wolf and me. How did this wolf read my emotions so well? And how did it know how to make me feel better?

I'm sure wolves are intelligent creatures but of their own kind, surely not humans and human behaviours?

As the minutes went by, I was really missing Alaric. He always seems to make me feel so much better, and I needed one of his signature cuddles that bring those sparks back and the warmth in my heart.