A Day for Us (Chapter 9.)

Shuichi's POV:

Kaede and I went to get what Kirumi was serving us. Kaede's eyes lit up when she walked into the kitchen. I looked at the food...

Orange rolls.

Kaede took a plate and grabbed as many as she could. I reluctantly picked one up. 

We sat down at the table Kaito and Maki were sitting at.

Kaito: "So what's up, you two?"

Maki: "I'm sorry for the scene Miu caused."

Me: "It's no big deal."

Kaede took a bite of her orange roll. Her eyes lit up in joy.

Kaede: "This is so good!"

I feel kind of nauseous.

Me: "I'm glad you like them."

She eyed my plate. She looked at me, seemingly upset.

Why is she upset?

Kaede: "Shuichi, that's all you're eating? You're gonna shrivel up!"

Me: "I don't like orange rolls. My aunt used to cook them in the mornings and they were always soggy and the orange was way to strong. Now I can't even look at them the same way."

I do like cinnamon rolls though. I really love most sweets. As a great detective once said: "Sweets stimulate the brain. That's why I think that sweets are vital to detective work!"

Kaede: "Shuichi, give these a chance!"

Normally I would refuse to try to like them. But seeing as this is Kaede and we just started dating, I should appease her.

Me: "Fiiiiine..."

I slowly reach down to pick mine up. I... I can't bring myself to it. It put my hand down in defeat.

Kaede: "Fine. If you won't do it..."

She tickles me in the gut, causing me to burst out laughing. I'm really ticklish, okay?

While my mouth is wide open from laughing, she shoves one in my mouth.

...

...

...

Its...

IT'S SO GOOD.

I never thought I would like one of these. It's moist without being soggy, sweet without being strong, and it's as fluffy as a cloud.

I turn to Kaede, who is laughing so hard that she can barely breathe. No, seriously. Her face is red and she's having to gasp for breath. I laugh at the face she makes as she tries and fails to stop laughing. My laughter only makes her laugh harder.

I finish the roll. and I look at her with a smile. She's practically in tears at this point. I give her a hug, and this seems to settle her down.

I look around at the other tables. Nobody seems to be paying attention to us. Tenko is talking to Angie and cussing out Korekiyo. Gonta is talking about bugs with Tsumugi. Jusging by her expression, she's thinking "This disgusts me, but I'll listen to be nice..." K1-B0 is being checked part for part by Miu, who is wearing a fascinated expression on her face. Korekiyo is ignoring Tenko and is talking to Kirumi. Kokichi seems to be telling jokes to make Kirumi laugh, some of which are actually working on her, much to Tenko's dismay.